• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Baby Corn with an "underbite"

rusticreptiles

I have a normal het opal baby that has a "shark mouth" thing going on. The top is normal, but the bottom jaw does not meet the top and created an "underbite" sort of thing. She eats just fine...just wondering what I should do with her. I was planning on selling her, but now don't know if I should. Obviously she should be just a pet in case it is inherited, but what do you do with a hatchling that has a deformity, but it is not life threatening and the snake can still have a good life? Do you cull them, keep them, sell them, give them away, etc.

Thanks!
Nicole

I don't have any pics at the moment, but if you imagine a sharks mouth (at rest) that's how she looks.

I think you mean she has an overbite. An underbite is when the lower jaw sticks out past the skull. Bulldogs, for example, have an underbite.

How bad an overbite is it? Do you have any pictures?

You know I put overbite at first, but then her top jaw is the "normal" one, the lower jaw is abnormal so I thought it should be the one at fault! You are right though, it's an overbite. I don't have pics but I can post some. It will take a little while (old, slow computer).

OVERBITE!

Here she is...I put the last one just to show how cute she is. :)
So what should I do with her?

Attachments

• DSC04499.JPG
    DSC04499.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC04501.JPG
    DSC04501.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC04504.JPG
    DSC04504.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC04506.JPG
    DSC04506.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC04498.JPG
    DSC04498.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 113
She eats just fine, I meant if you didn't want to keep her do you sell, give away, etc. Just wondering what breeders normally do with a minor abnormality like that. It doesn't affect her quality of life, so she'd make a fine pet.

Thats what I get for reading too fast, Im sorry about that! I feel kinda silly now :)

I would probably either keep her as a pet, or give her away/adopt her out to a pet only home. You never know if it would be genetic.

LOL, I mentioned not breeding her above too! :) Thanks for the input though.

I will just adopt her out to someone that doesn't mind a "doofy" looking corn snake. Just curious what the average breeder does. Are they culled, adopted out, kept etc.?

Yeah I saw that you posted that, I was just sayin'. Most breeders would adopt them out to a pet only home. Im sure some would cull it, but I dont think I would have the heart to, especially if the snake is thriving otherwise.

I couldn't cull her either. I'll hold onto her for a few months just to make sure she is growing well, and then I'll find her a pet only home.

Back