• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Baby Corn

KaliCorn

Hi all,

Got my corn on Sunday 2nd April - Anerythristic. Born on 13th March 2006. Fed 18th march (also shed) - 25th march - and 1st April. She is called Kali.

The first day she came home with me she spent all day trying to escape. I didn't handle her until yesterday (3rd April) (5-10mins). First handle went ok - she escaped down my arm and got onto the bed! She then sped off under the bed and i started to panic! Luckily she crawled back out and I could grab her again - after this she calmed down and slowly tangled up in my fingers.

Since then she hasn't been very active. She did pop out last night whilst I was in bed - I saw from the corner of my eye - she fell from the lip of the tank with quite a thud! She didn't move until I got closer to the tank (thought she was hurt/dead) - now she seems to back up and hide whenever I go near the cage. This is since i've put a stick in for her to climb on. I also took out her bark hide as it was far too long - I cut an inch or so off it and placed it back in. Now she seems to just be hiding all the time - shall I leave her for a while until she becomes active agin?

Sorry for the essay! just can't stop typing - few worries as most new owners experience I hope!

here are some pics:
http://img311.imageshack.us/img311/395/dscf00078ik.jpg

http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/1411/dscf00094tu.jpg

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/8467/dscf00065dj.jpg

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6606/dscf00049vj.jpg

Also - I just wondered - as the feeding schedule has been quite strict on 7 days - would it be ok to feed her tomorrow night (5th) when she was last fed on 1st. I was thinking about feeding every 4-5 days at first - then slow down to 7 days once she is onto fuzzies - or the next size up from pinkies.

I feed Guinness every 4-7 days. it just really depends on when he poos. after he poos, i feed him the next day.

And you might want to just leave him alone for a bit. They need some settling in time. Guinness was a handful for the first week. he tried to escape and didnt like to be held at all. and hatchling corns dont like open spaces. they're very tiny and the world is quite big to them and their instinct is telling them that they could be eaten by predators.

I handle Guinness for about 15 mins before I attempt to feed him.

Ok - It pooped in its small container before it left the shop. Since then it hasn't pooped once since i have had it. I think I will feed tomorrow. Yesterday is the first time I have taken her out and held her - she seemed quite settled after a min or two.

I will give her a first feeding tomorrow - is it better to feed at night or in the day?

Do you reccomend I handle for 15 mins before the feed also?

I understand after the feeding I should not handle for 48 hours.

I usually feed at night, because that is when corns are more active and awake. and if you would like to, handle her before feeding. but not for 2-3 days after.

Some snakes don't like being handled before a feeding. Others don't mind it. If yours doesn't want to eat, try feeding without handling first.

I also feed mine in the evening. Since corns are primarily nocturnal, I feel this more closely matches what they would do in nature.

Back