• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

baby snakes

Jojo58

Hi, have managed to successfully incubate 3 eggs and have three beautiful babies but I think the red one has odd markings, the black ones have orange spots. Still have one egg from first batch- lost the other 23 through my ignorance, but think I have it right now and the second batch are looking good. Does anyone have any thought or suggestions as to what these are? Jo:awcrap:

Attachments

• baby snakes1 (800x713).jpg
    baby snakes1 (800x713).jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 96
Looks like an amel motley (left) and a normal.

I have no idea what the parents are be honest, I rescued them all! the Mum was black and grey, the Dad orange/red with no black marks, but I don't even know what they are called! I just love them, and look after them and find them the most relaxing things to have about- except when they escape, cos I live on a boat!

My girl is the same you have an amel motley Qtip :D
Very nice! Id say the other one is a normal!
Only difference is mine has more defined Q tips :D

I am sorry to be so ignorant, but what is a het? and what is a Qtip? I know Mum is Anery, will try and find a picture of Dad! Amel motley means red with no black I guess with stripes and spots? Please forgive my ignorance, I just love the snakes, I have the second batch to hatch yet- another 16, so am very excited. I could really get into this breeding thing as long as I knew I could find good homes for them. How do you find out about Hets and other stuff! Cheers for all your help. Jo x

Q-tip is a term meant to describe two spots connected with a stripe, shaped like a Q-tip. (I think, I'm not sure about this)

Hets are traits that are hidden by a dominant trait. If one parent (lets say dad) was not albino bred to an albino female and albino babies were produced, then dad was "het"erozygous for albino. I can explain another way of need be.

Does that help? It's not ignorance, it's learning! Enjoy! :D

Q-tip is a term meant to describe two spots connected with a stripe, shaped like a Q-tip. (I think, I'm not sure about this)

Hets are traits that are hidden by a dominant trait. If one parent (lets say dad) was not albino bred to an albino female and albino babies were produced, then dad was "het"erozygous for albino. I can explain another way of need be.

Does that help? It's not ignorance, it's learning! Enjoy! :D

100% :D ^^

Thank you so much! That helps a lot! So if I have a normal and a amel motley I will get normal or amel babies, but if the normal was the result of a normal and another sort breeding I could end up with babies with another trait? Like two brown eyed parents having a blue eyed baby cos one of their parents had blue eyes? I think! Thanks for being so patient! I can't wait for the others to hatch now but think it will be at least two weeks, first batch were laid on 29th April and hatched on the 11th July, the second batch were laid on the 18th May, and I hope the recent good weather will speed up incubation. Once again thanks.

Back