• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

baby wont eat **please help asap**

steve-00

i have 2 baby corn snakes and the people who i got the snakes from, told me to feed every tuesday, its been to weeks and neither of them will eat, the one struck at the pinky twice but than ignored it after, and the other will just quickly move away from it, iv been trying to feed frozen than thawed pinkies, wondering what i should do or just keep offering?????

First check the temp of the enclosure as well as the temp of the pinkie you are feeding. It should be very warm to the touch(cause it will cool off quick) feel deep into the pinkie to make sure the center isnt still cold.....

I like taking the pinkie, in a sandwich bag, putting it in a hot cup of water(as hot as the tap will get), then putting another cup on top of it also filled with hot water. leaving the zipper on the sandwich bag hanging out so I dont get water in the bag. letting it sit for 5 mins or so for 1 pinkie usually gets the job done.

I would say if you checked all your temps and they still wont eat, Then try a live pinkie. Then try to switch them back to f/t on the next feeding. I had to do this with a little one last year. It took 2-3 times but he came around.... Good luck

As well have you been handling them since you brought them home? If so, stop.

Justine is right, if you have them in the same viv, that may be part of the problem, snakes are not social animals and being housed together is stressful for them...so if they are together...separate them. Being together can also cause a host of other problems...cannibalism...stress related illness...unexpected pregnancy(which if the female is to young can cause many problems itself, even death)...inability to digest food(because they are fighting to get the best warm spot to thermoregulate and digest)...spread illness from one to the other...if one regurgitates you will not know who is sick.....all of these things and more as well as the not eating thing.

Now for the handling thing. When you first get a snake you should not handle it for at least 5 days, this allows the snake to settle in and de-stress after the move. Traveling and a new viv are stressful for snakes, esp for little ones. Give them their space as hard as it is....I know they are so cute and wonderful and you want to handle them, we all do. But the best thing you can do for the health of your snakes is to leave them be for that time period and then try the feed.

Like buzzard said you want to make sure the frozen thawed pinkie is fully thawed and very hot. Run your tap as hot as possible and do just like mentioned above..put in a ziploc and heat, then brain( slit head and back open so that brain matter starts to ooze out), now put your little snake in a very small container, smaller than a sandwich container, make sure it has air holes, and put the pinky in there with it and close the lid tight...walk away and check in 30 min...if they still have not eaten..put the entire container in the viv (not on the warm side)and leave over night. Hope fully your little guy should have eaten. Other things you can do are, put a tea towel over the container so it is dark and your snake feels secure, and dip the pinky in tuna juice just before you brain it. Generally, if you follow this things you should have success.

Good luck and keep us all posted.

thank u all for the help and advice, now i understand what your saying but, the guy that i bought them from said that it was fine to put them together, thats y i bought 2, i'm unsure if it madders but one is female and the other male

thank u all for the help and advice, now i understand what your saying but, the guy that i bought them from said that it was fine to put them together, thats y i bought 2, i'm unsure if it madders but one is female and the other male

That's only good, IF, you are trying to make more snakies and probably why they are not eating. You need to seperate them, asap.

Wayne

I agree with earlier post about dipping in tuna juice, had several problem feeders and tried soaking the pinkies first in hot tap water, then dipping in Hot tuna juice (just drain from a can of tuna) and offered it to them with tongs .. Very good results!! Good luck

Don't take this the wrong way, but 90% of people who sell corns, pet stores and what not are total morons. Yes pet stores house corns together, but their stock is also crawling with mites and drowning themselves in water bowls.

Baby corn snakes when housed together have been known to become stressed and not eat, and they have also been known to eat eachother.

Separate them into sterilite tubs, you can get them in Walmart very cheap, let them settle another week, and offer food again.

If one of your babies makes lunch out of his sibling, you will end up with 2 dead snakes.

i didnt buy it from a pet store but a reptile expo wether that means sumthin, and what size should i be trying to feed?, i read sumthin that said the same with of the snake should be the length of the pinky??????

Ok for amount to feed you have 2 basic options

1. visual estimation: the prey item width should be 1.5 times the width of your snake (not the length of the prey as compared to the width of the snake)

or the easier more accurate method, requires a digital kitchen scale that measures in 1 gram increments (check Walmart)

2. the Munson plan created by another forum member, here is the link to it http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50106&highlight=munson+plan

like Justine said...get them their own homes..sterelite tubs from Walmart work fine. Then do not bug them for 5-7 days so they can settle in and de-stress. Then have smaller feeding containers, make sure they are secure, have air holes drilled in them and are not much larger than the little snakes (even a sandwich container will do fine) small means security to them.

Then take a pinky, put it in a ziploc and heat it up with the hottest tap water you can get, place pinky and snake in feeding container and leave alone for at least 15-30 min, covering with a tea towel even helps them feel secure, some little guys will not eat if they can see other things around them and vice versa. If that has not worked leave your little ones in their feeding containers and place them in the vivs over night, pinky should be gone by AM.

Good to hear...now once they have digested and you have a moment ...let's have some pics.

Did you end up separating them? Im not being a pain, Im just curious if thats what worked or if it was temps or something.

i'm in the process of building a new enclosure.(so there together for now but soon they'll be in there own)
So the ate together, but all i did was warmed the pinky a bit more and used tuna juice.
The male was very aggressive and ate immediately but the female took a dark room and being by herself, (pinky still dip in tuna)
i had also added pics of the both of them under my other post in the "new" category, i'm unsure if u want me to post them here also???
There kinda bad pic's and i hope to take better ones soon

iv just bought a baby corn from a pet store i let it settle into its new home and attempted feeding it but it keeps turning away from it. its been 3 days
is it still to soon to try to feed it ? thanks

id keep trying for the next week or to, try dipping it in tuna, or braining, make sure you dont touch it

pinky, try not to touch it to keep as much of your scent off of it, than dont handle the snake for like a day or so after it eats

Back