• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Back after a few years...

ratsnakehaven

I like functionality.. :)
I've posted more in the last two weeks than the previous three years, but I've been here before, I've had corns before, but I got out of corns for awhile, and now I'm back.

I tend to be long-winded and could easily spend an hour talking about myself, my collection, my occupations for the last ten years, etc. But I don't think y'all want to hear my life's story, so I'll try to keep it to the most important stuff.

1. I now live in AZ. I used to live in MI a few years ago.
2. I don't want to say how old I am. Let's just say there's a lot of folks younger than me on these forums.
3. I've been mostly interested in ratsnakes since the late 70's and got into the Asian ratsnakes and breeding in the 80's and 90's.
4. I got my first computer and first digital camera around the same year, 2003.
5. I love nature photography and have over 6,000 photos in my collection.
6. I do field work and keep several native species in my collection including green ratsnakes and desert kings.
7. I've kept corn snakes before, but never done any breeding. I gave the adults away to make room for other projects. I haven't had anymore until I got a Miami/Keys cross from Carol several years ago. I crossed them with a thornscrub rat, emoryi, a few years ago to make a rootbeer form.
8. Last spring I picked up 2.2 Boot Key ratsnakes. They were two yr. olds and will be ready to breed next spring.
9. I have a trio of Slowinski's corns from OK which I'll be breeding next yr.
10. I mostly work with locality forms of Emory's ratsnakes.

Corn snakes may not be the most important part of my collection, but I'm very much interested in them and how they are related to the Emory's ratsnakes. Corns make great pet snakes.

I participate in several other sites/forums. I'm a forum moderator in the AZ Chapter/NAFHA. I have many years experience with snakes in general, especially ratsnakes, and prefer to participate in strands dealing with important matters of husbandry. I hope I don't offend anyone by offering my experience on such matters, when I know many keepers have their own preferences that work well for them.

I don't have many photos of my current corn snakes, but will try to post some with time. Meanwhile, I may post some of my older pics.

Happy to meet everyone and hope to see you's on the forums. I love talking snakes and want to learn all I can about the specifics of corns. I'm leaning towards a pet snake collection in my later years, rather than research, and downsizing, so I'm learning to think differently about my animals.

Best, and Happy Holidays...

Terry Cox/TC/ratsnakehaven

Welcome! I love all kinds of rat snakes, Asian ratsnakes have always been attractive snakes to me, but I've never owned any.

I don't have many photos of my current corn snakes, but will try to post some with time. Meanwhile, I may post some of my older pics.

Here's a pic of one of my Miami/Keys corns in 2005...
MiamiRH50105c1_TC.jpg

A hybrid made from a cross of the Miami/Keys corn and a South Texas Emory's ratsnake in 2007...
HybridCornmaleRH61810a1b_TC.jpg

One of the rootbeers (hybrids) at 3 yrs. old....
HybridCornbig-fRH61810a1b_TC.jpg

More later... :wavey:

Welcome! I love all kinds of rat snakes, Asian ratsnakes have always been attractive snakes to me, but I've never owned any.

Thank you! I enjoy talking about the Asians too, but I'll try to control myself here, 'cus this is a corn snake site... (serious).

PS: A few of the Asians make pretty cool captives... ;)

Welcome back! I enjoyed reading your intro. More info is better than not enough heh heh.

I have a few questions about ratsnakes that i will PM to you. I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Thanks, Nanci. How's the Keys rats? :bird:

Scarlett and Phoenix are doing great! Phoenix weighed 67 grams when he arrived, he is now up to 216. He's eating small adult mice every seven days. Scarlett weighed 77 and is now 160. She is recovering well from the unexpected clutch. She is eating weaned mice every five days. No change with the hatchling...

Thanks, all... :wavey:

The hobby seems to be always changing for us, individually and collectively. The rootbeer corns have been sort a transition for me from a serious student of ratsnakes in general to more of I want to work with the perfect pet snake hobbyist.

I got my first rootbeer in 2003. Here's an early photo of a baby rootbeer along with a pair of baby Brazos Island ratsnakes...
FirstSnakePics001.jpg

This is an original photo.

Here's that rootbeer 3 yrs. later...
HypoHetCross03maleRH91406a_TC.jpg

I ended up giving the rootbeer away along with the founding stock. It wasn't what I was looking for and I was downsizing at the time.

I decided I wanted to make a rootbeer/creamsicle line from more of a locality stock. That's when I got the Miami/Keys corns from Carol. I matched up the male with a nice female thornscrub rat, Pantherophis (Elaphe) emoryi meahllmorum, from Duval County, TX. One reason I picked Carol's Miami is because they are smaller than the ave. corn and I wanted my perfect pet to be a little smaller than the thornscrub rat, which is a good sized snake. Size matters.

Here's a group pic of my current rootbeer females at two yrs. of age....
g-mHybridCorn-femalesRH62010a3b_TC.jpg

I plan to breed one or more of these next year. They are possibly het for amelanism too.

Also, we picked up 2.2 Boot Key rosy rats last spring. They were two yr. olds and ready to take off. They'll be ready to breed next season. I like this locality for itself and also like it because of their small size and color and may make a rootbeer line with these too in the future.

Here they are out of the box...
BootKeyCornsOutOfBox-mRH61510a1b_TC.jpg

BootKeyCornsOutOfBox-fRH61510a1b_TC.jpg

These are pretty cool corn snakes, although I don't think most on this site think of them the same as regular corns. I like this form a lot. Nanci has a pair of these too. It'll be fun watching them mature and to see how they fare under the conditions here.

More later... :santa:

Every time I see pics of Boot Keys it is so exciting!! And when I get mine out to feed- they are so beautiful.

Scarlett and Phoenix are doing great! Phoenix weighed 67 grams when he arrived, he is now up to 216. He's eating small adult mice every seven days. Scarlett weighed 77 and is now 160. She is recovering well from the unexpected clutch. She is eating weaned mice every five days. No change with the hatchling...

Wow! Your pair are growing fast. I need to update my info on weights. We are much cooler here though and the snakes are slowing down. We're at over 3,000 ft. elevation. They've grown a lot, but I don't think nearly as much as yours. They still look ready to breed though...

:wavey:

Every time I see pics of Boot Keys it is so exciting!! And when I get mine out to feed- they are so beautiful.

These snakes are gorgeous. I love everything about them...shape, size, color, pattern. I'm loving working with these guys too. My Herp Room system seems to work well for them. They don't eat as often, but when they do I put them on the UTH's. The rest of the time it's room temps and controlled humidity around 30%. They seem to be doing fine.

Last spring my females became gravid, even though I had never put them with a male. I think they had been put together before we got them. I only got one egg that was ok, but it didn't go full term before dying. I was good with that, because neither female became egg bound or anything and that was very good.

Here's one of the females (no names, yet)...
BootKeyRosy-f1gravidRH70810a1b_TC.jpg

I'll try to get some more pics later... :cheers:

Welcome to the forum! We have other Asian rat owners here so I'm sure they will enjoy info & pics of them, and I just love looking at them although I don't plan to own any.

Rootbeers are cool, and trying to produce a hardy snake that stays small sounds like a good project too!

Thanks you guys (and gals).. :duck:

Are we allowed to post pics of other species of ratsnakes in our introductory strand??

Back