• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Backyard Visitor

mbdorfer

Sorry, it's not a snake. It's my other passion......raptors!

I'm no expert in identification, but I believe this to be a Broad Winged Hawk.
They are not indigenous to this part of Florida so I'm thinking I just got lucky and he stopped for a rest during his migration to South America.

Bird experts correct me if I'm wrong.

100_2113.jpg

100_2105.jpg

100_2099.jpg

He let me get fairly close, which was way awesome!

100_2095.jpg

Awesome pictures, and awesome bird! I don't know anything about birds so I'll let the others yay or nay your identification!

Hey Mike,
That pretty cool to see that on your fence. :cheers:
Why not defrost a fuzzy and hold it out in your hand and see what happens;)

Cool! I was up on hawks when I was a teenager dating a guy with a redtail, but no more...

Great shots Mike and what a gorgeous bird. You are so lucky to get close enough for some nice pics. All the raptors I see tend to fly away before I get close enough for a good photo.

Thats amazing! You were very lucky indeed to be able to get so close. I'm afraid I can't help you with the ID, but raptors are amazing creatures to be sure.

Great photos! I would say that is a broad-winged hawk, but an immature bird due to the dark streaked and not rufous barred underparts. The pale white tail bands also indicate an immature bird. These hawks have been known to winter here in Florida, but usually a little further south than we are.

Back