• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bad Hair Day?

CornCrazy

What's one more???
Or NO hair day?

These little guys popped up in my mouse colony. Their hair NEVER grew in! There are so funny looking, they are cute.
HairlessMouseWhite2.jpg

HairlessMouseGray.jpg

Have you successfully reproduced that? It looks like it could be partially do to malnutrition. Perhaps the mother stopped feeding them to early and they did not develop all of their hair properly, combined with some type of gene that does reduce the hair. I know I have some frizzle mice, that look malnourished before they fully mature, so perhaps it is just similar to that, where the lack of hair makes them look skinnier than they really are. Very interesting, none the less.

Cool!

"Mexican Hairless Mice" or "Chinese Crested Mice" lmao :crazy02:

They are super cute (coming from someone who doesn't particularly care for rodents...lol) Hope they are that way as natural flukes, not because they are unhealthy in any way... :)

They look fab - quite different to the naked mice that are now quite common in the UK.

Have you bred from any yet? It is quite common that hairless (or mainly hairless) mutations in rodents result in the animal being unable to lactate, so while they're cool looking it may turn out that the does at least are not really suitable breeding animals.

mike17l said:
Have you successfully reproduced that? It looks like it could be partially do to malnutrition. Perhaps the mother stopped feeding them to early and they did not develop all of their hair properly, combined with some type of gene that does reduce the hair. I know I have some frizzle mice, that look malnourished before they fully mature, so perhaps it is just similar to that, where the lack of hair makes them look skinnier than they really are. Very interesting, none the less.
I have not reproduced any of them, yet. Honestly, I wondered if the fact that they were part of a very large litter was a factor in why they never grew in a full coat of hair. Although, they always had a full belly everytime I checked. It's funny that you mentioned frizzle mice...some of the litter mates are frizzle (At least that what I think they are. Their hair is really wavy.) These little ones are still young. They aren't old enough to breed, yet. I will be hanging onto them to see what happens with them. I don't think I could stand not trying to figure out what's going on.

Thanks for all of the comments/compliments!

CornCrazy said:
I don't think I could stand not trying to figure out what's going on.

Definitely, The first time I had frizzle pop up you can bet that, that guy had all the females he could handle. Now I have multiple colonies of frizzle, and am working on combining frizzle with silkie. I am also trying to get some frizzles that are not albino, brindle, black, or agouti. Trying to get some B&Ws or something. Good luck.

CornCrazy said:
Update on these little ones...they BOTH grew in hair! I guess they were just late bloomers!
Up until this post, I was content with the "pattern baldness" theory. At least for me, there was strength in numbers.

Now, I'm just that much more depressed. *sigh*

;)

regards,
jazz

jazzgeek said:
Up until this post, I was content with the "pattern baldness" theory. At least for me, there was strength in numbers.

Now, I'm just that much more depressed. *sigh*

;)

regards,
jazz
:roflmao: You are always good for a laugh, Dale! Thanks!

Back