• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bad Pet Store!

Inked_lil_girl

So yesterday I was out and about with my friend. She had just gotten a 40 gallon tank for her breaded dragon and need to get some bedding for him. We headed out to this pet store near her called Pet Connection. While she was paying I head back to check out to see what they had. I saw they had 2 adult corns. I felt so bad for them. They had to be well over 2 feet maybe even 3 and they where in 10gallon tanks. Not together but each his own and they had no hide. Their bodies pretty much took up the whole take other then where their water bowl was. I mean one was just going crazy at the glass when I walked by.
I’m not sure what to do, I don’t know if I go back in and talk to the manger if take me seriously when I tell him that stressing them out. I mean in no way good for them to be in a tank where they pretty much touch all 3 side when they are rolled up!

Oh anyone know anything about breaded dragons? I know this is not the page for this question but they had a tank of like 10-15 babies and they all where missing about ½ their tails. Not sure way. You could just message me about that.
:shrugs:

Most of the time, pet stores really don't take the time to make sure their stock is take care of "how they should be" because they think they will move quickly. It's unfortunate, but you'll find that most pet stores are like that.

There is a petco by my old apt. that I was at for supplies one day, and like you, looked over in the reptile dept just to see what they had. Normally, they have seperate glass tanks inside of a wall display, and keep everything pretty much sealed and seperated. This time, they had one glass tank divided by a mesh screen top that did not exactly fit. On the left were milksnakes and on the right were kingsnakes. A king had gotten through a small seperation and was eating a smaller milk. I brought it up to the manager's attention, and she said "Yeah that happens sometimes." and walked away. :eek1:

On a seperate occasion, a friend of mine wanted to buy a tokay gecko. She chose a really brightly colored one, and showed the manager which one she wanted (different manager, who by the way was also the stores "reptile expert"...no not you John :)). He put on a pair of leather gloves, and STILL would not reach into the tank of barking geckos because he didn't want to get bit. I finally had to reach in there and grab the gecko she wanted.

I'm sure there are billions of other pet store horror stories too. This is why going to a breeder, or specifically a reptile store is always better.

I would definitely talk to the manager, even for your own peace of mind. You might also want to contact the Humane Society in your area and report them.

Ordering supplies online is also worth it. www.beanfarm.com is very reliable. They are in Washington state and they are the ones who organize the NW Reptile Expo in Oct. I've met them at another show and would highly recommend them to anyone looking for an online supplier.

Even though we have a good pet store near us, they still sometimes far short of the mark.

Last edited:
When I was looking for my first corn snakes through pet stores, I went to about 5 different stores here in richmond. Two of them that we went to looked as if they had never cleaned the cages, and there was a dead lizard in one of the lizard cages.

More recently when I was trying to sell my first hatchlings, we took some of them to a new pet store in the area "Perfect Pets" and the manager basically handles the little ones as roughly as possible to see if they'd strike. The poor things were so agitated afterwards. Maybe I'm being picky, but I didn't sell them there either.

Right now I'm planning ahead and looking for places to sell mine next year. I walked in to this little pet store i've never been to and AHHHHHHHH!!. They had hatchling corn snakes in the smallest cage i've ever seen with no hide. there was a dead lizards in one cage and and a sick ball python. Fortunently they were reported and i'm glad that they are now out of the reptile business.

dionythicus said:
I would definitely talk to the manager, even for your own peace of mind. You might also want to contact the Humane Society in your area and report them.

Ordering supplies online is also worth it. www.beanfarm.com is very reliable. They are in Washington state and they are the ones who organize the NW Reptile Expo in Oct. I've met them at another show and would highly recommend them to anyone looking for an online supplier.

Even though we have a good pet store near us, they still sometimes far short of the mark.

This all happened like 6 months ago, and have since switched to having my supplies shipped. I agree... some stores just aren't worth the hassle. I did complain to corporate about that situation, however my complaint was taken in the form of a recording. Not sure how much good it did. I will also highly recommend beanfram. They have always been a great supplier to me.

well i talked to them, i don't think they cared at all. They said it was only a temp thing and i shouldn't worry. I guess I may go back and check on the snakes in a few days it's right over by my college. :shrugs:

bearded dragon, not breaded, very common at petstores to have a tonne of small ones in a cage, they mistake other dragons tails for worms and bite them. thats why especially for reptiles you should always find a breeder.

Back