• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bad Shed, or could something be wrong?

Tg1222

I took a look at my baby snow today and i was aware that he shed a few days prior as i had removed a few pieces of the old skin. Right now he has very dry skin with some bent scales when he moves and a few pieces of dead skin hanging off. I thought maybe his humidity is low so i sprayed some lukewarm water on him and around the tank. Some of the areas around the sides of his belly are a very faint yellowish, but im not sure if this is his natural coloration as some snows develope yellow there. Any help would be great.

I read that if they are shedding in pieces, and there are still pieces on you can try a few things. One is to put them into a plastic box with some material on the bottom like a rag maybe and then put water in to cover the material. Then put the snake in it and let it rub against the material to get any extra shed off. I've also seen where you can put them into a damp pillowcase and rub around.

Thanks ill try that.

Thanks for the quick response. Ive used a spray bottle to mist the cage a bit and i squirted the snake (which he seemed to like) to try to raise the humidity. I may give him a bath tomorrow to try to remove some skin. What about the yellow on the sides though, and the slightly bent scales?

I'm assuming the bent scale look is probably just some stuck shed pulling on the scales. I would warm a washcloth not hot, but warm and hold the snake letting it slither through a few times and see if any comes off.

Thanks

Thanks Nanci and all who have replied. Does anyone think i should give him a small bath tomorrow as well? And was squirting his tank and him a good idea? Thanks again

If he still has leftover shed on him, you need ot remove it. On the tail, it can cut off circulation and he can lose his tail. On the body, he can develop a fungal infection beneath the unshed skin.

Back