• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bad Shed.. what can I do to help???

stroodsue

I've not had George long as you may already know, he's 15 months and this is his 1st shed with me..

I knew he was coming up for one as he'd dulled down from Monday and eyes too, then they cleared...

It's been a waiting game, so this morning I looked in all excited lol and yayyyyy there it is the shed.. uh oh.. its still attached down the rear of him and its come off all bitty,,, eye caps clear they ARE on the shed..

My Question is, WHAT can I do to assist the rest to come off as best as it can Please.....

Thank you in advance

Sue

Get a wet washcloth and let him slither through it, it works like a charm.
Next time he goes in blue mist his cage down a few times so he can get it all off himself and you'll have a nice complete shed :)

Excellent Alicat37, Thank you

I had managed to get some advice locally earlier on... Put him in a luke warm bath for a wee while rub him gently while in there and it all came off!! popped George in a towel to dry and back in his warm bed he went!!

It was a worry when I saw it all in bits this morning though I did panic a tad.

Roughly how often should/could he shed at this age? 15months,?

Sue

Great to hear it all came off!
Bad sheds are always scary for me too (my ball never has a good one >.>)
My corns usually shed every 6 weeks or so, but each snake is an individual.

wow. I have just checked My wee book that I have all Georges details of feed etc and he had shed the week before I bought him.. 1st September.. almost exactly 6 weeks ago...

Sue

How often should an adult corn shed? Tom (My Son) has had his adult one since 21st August, the notes on him say sheds were...

came to us on 21.8 11 has not shed with us... I must give Alan a call actually, as he keeps a spreadsheet of all things, he's the breeder we know..

what would you say for an adult ??

If you go to Health Issues/Feeding Problems you will find on the top of the page it is a sticky Bad/Incomplete Shed: What To Do . Just read it and it will tell you the best way to deal with a bad shed.

Thank you but I've got him sorted now with the advise above!! IF only I had seen that thread before I posted!

How often should an adult corn shed? Tom (My Son) has had his adult one since 21st August, the notes on him say sheds were...

came to us on 21.8 11 has not shed with us... I must give Alan a call actually, as he keeps a spreadsheet of all things, he's the breeder we know..

what would you say for an adult ??

I'm not too sure with adults. I think anywhere from 6-10 weeks would be normal, but it may depend on food intake. I would guess that they may shed just as much as younger snakes, but the growth would slow significantly. I've noticed that my boa sheds more in the summer, but has slowed down now that it is cooler.

So, if I have one snake that went blue and is clear now, should I mist her? I have other snakes (VERY TEMPORARILY) in with her. This will be my first experience with shedding and I hope it goes well. I didn't know there was anything like bad shed. My beardies always shed piece by piece, unlike a snake I guess.

In with?? not corns i hope??

yes from what I have just seen with George, he went dull blue, then his eyes cleared and probably within 24hours he was in shed.. and yes the girls have suggested raising the humidity!

but I think you should ask more with the regard to keeping them together.. corns..i thought they would have a tendancy to eat each other..???

Sue

In with?? not corns i hope??

yes from what I have just seen with George, he went dull blue, then his eyes cleared and probably within 24hours he was in shed.. and yes the girls have suggested raising the humidity!

but I think you should ask more with the regard to keeping them together.. corns..i thought they would have a tendancy to eat each other..???

Sue

She stated temporarily. However, any snake can become cannibalistic when housed with other snakes, especially if they are young or different in sizes.

I would mist the cage. However, the incomplete shed may have been caused by stress of having other snakes in the cage. I would go to walmart and buy some sterlite bins and get them separated. There is no reason to risk the health of your snakes through cohabbing.

I know all about the cohab issue but they weren't warm enough not being in the viv. I can put them back in the tubs but since I'm spending over 700 on new vivs fit for 6 snakes that should arrive rather quickly, I decided to take the chance and keep them together for a week or so. I dont want them to get eaten, they are all 8-12 gms and I wanted to keep them all warm. My house stays 72 or so lately - the breeder said they could stay together (a reputable breeder who is on this sight) for a while as long as they were about the same size.

Maybe I should go back and separate the 2 new ones. I am definitely separating them all when I get my new vivs.

I should just buy a heating pad to put under them, a low one. Unfortunately the room they would have to be in is the colder room of the house.

yes if they are younger, they are more likely to be fine! especially if they are "put" together early on! yes also to its only temp!! BUT we can't watch them 24/7 lol

Sue xxxx

Back