• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bad Shed :(

Vegas

So, Ash shedded or atleast tried to. He got off 1/3 of the skin, the head and 2 inches down or so. But the rest is still on, I took him out today and let him crawl through a wet papertowel in my hand, didn't help. Also I fed him today, no problems there, he gulped it right down. But I don't know what to do about the shed, will it come off in pieces or will it stay until the next shed? plz help. :shrugs:

Give him a bath (in tepid water - slightly cool to the touch) then keep going with the wet tea towel. Let HIM pull himself through, that way it wont hurt him.

Best to get it off.

Yeah forgot to mention that, I filled a container up with a little water, just enough for him to touch the bottom and let him slither around a bit, so he got wet.
But I fed him today, so I gotta wait another 2 days until I try the watertowel again. Any tips on how to increase the humidity? I use a UTH and a hood at daytime.

Get a small container and fill it with moist sphagnum moss. You can use sredded paper towels if you can't find moss. Cut a small entry hole in the container, and replace his favorite hide with the container. This is MUCH less stressful than bathing him. This method works 98% of the time for me with bad sheds. Good luck.

Vegas said:
Any tips on how to increase the humidity? I use a UTH and a hood at daytime.
I usually put a larger waterbowl in the viv and cover half of the screen top with a towel to increase humidity. You can also mist the enclosure with a spray bottle.

Congrats on the shed! Did you use a humid hide?

It might be a good idea to put one in now, and again on the next shed (for the week).

If my snake doesn't fully the first time I leave the humidity high for the next couple days and let him finish shedding himself.

If you don't have a humidifier then just make a moist chamber, although you could probably pick up a humidifier for $20.

Hmmmm.......My Aztec Elle wasstuck in her shed, but as I tugged at the dead, dried skin, it came off with ease. The only prblem is that the tip of her tail is kind of shrunken more than the rest of her body. I'm hoping that will fill out and catch up with the size of her regular body size, maybe? Can anyone vouch for this?

Our amel had a bad shed a few weeks ago (we were keeping her viv really dry since we thought she may have an RI since she was clicking - it was just her getting ready to shed luckily), she only shed the first quarter of her body, and the rest was stuck. I just put her in a sterlite (a clear plastic tub with a lid) along with a wet terrycloth towel. I left her in for about 10 or 15 minutes and she had the shed off in no time. It seemed pretty low-stress to me, and that way she did all the work herself by rubbing on the "rough" terrycloth in a humid environment. Just a thought. Let us know how the rest of his shed goes!

Edit: I put her in the sterilite 25-ish hours after eating, and since there was minimal handling she did not regurge.

Back