• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bairds question!! Please help!

moonchild

I am wanting to get one, or a pair or Bairds Ratsnakes. But I can hardly find any breeders of them, and the ones I have found the parents are not as pretty as a lot of the ones I have seen. So I guess my question is, does anybody know of a decent Bairds breeder?? Hopefully reasonably priced too... lol

Well, if you want the prettiest, they are the most money. That would be Vivid Reptiles out of Texas. They have spent years developing their Baird's into the shimmering metallic beauties you see. Other breeders include Hawkeye Herps (I've posted in that thread, too), Lost World Reptiles, VMS Herps, Draybar's Snakes, JDTails.com, CCCorns (Hurley and Serpwidgets) will be producing some this year and I will be producing some hypo and het hypo Baird's this summer, too, and maybe some corn/Baird's crosses. The hypo and het hypo will be pricey, $150 to $300/350 and I'll be keeping most back for this year.

I happen to think all Baird's are beautiful. This time last year I could hardly find a breeder, now they are becoming more popular. I see all different looks in them, from light to dark, orange to purple, matte to gloss. You just have to shop around.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

Thanks. I really want the Texas Bairds. I think I have found a couple places. I am wanting to get 2 females and a male and I think I have it all figured out!

bairdis

My parent bairdis came from Renegade.
I will be producing some this spring.
Sam
9600samb57-med.jpg

Rpsie
9600rosie50-med.jpg

Jimmy Johnson said:
My parent bairdis came from Renegade.
I will be producing some this spring.
Sam
9600samb57-med.jpg

Rpsie
9600rosie50-med.jpg

How much are you going to ask for those babies? I really like those! Would you take a deposit for any?

They're so variable and so underrated / underproduced that it's hard to find the type I like. :) I'm hoping Elizabeth gives me some keepers. Your pair are some of the prettiest I've seen to my tastes. So many of them seem to not have enough metallic wash to them.

I'm trying to find some with that high red/magenta pink to the background, but that actually have some metal on them. So far, I've been unsuccessful. The high pink ones always seem to have barely any metal and big, bold, thick longitudinal stripes.

Can't wait to see what you hatch out this year. Post pics.

I got my pair from Vivid last year and I love them.

Vivid was awesome to deal with. Plus, they have multiple bloodlines they're dealing with, so its not all closely related stock. Something I really prefer; so both of mine are from different lineages.

Pictures from October of this year...

Male - Ferric:
FerricOct05-B.jpg

He's getting quite a bit more lighter colors so far, hopefully not too much, as I really like the darker metal colors with the underlying rust color. His temperment is pretty good. Its not cornsnake tame, but also not eat your arm off either. He'll flail around a little bit and exude a tad of musk, and then after a minute of being assured you're not going to eat him, he's fine.

Female - Ochre:
Ochre102805A.jpg

She's looking a little bit better in the color respect. However she's also a bit more timid. She does a lot of posturing and tail rattling. But most of the time once you call her bluff she's good as gold.

Other than that, I adore them completely. =D

Suh-weet snakes, Jimmy and Misty. I was on their site (Vivid) earlier today. Not much availability right now, but the site was informative. Gotta contact them in the spring (or sooner). :)

Well I found where I am getting my babies! I decided to wait a bit for the right ones! So I will probably be getting them this coming summer depending on when they hatch. I am going to get 2 males and 2 females... sure that's more than I originally planned, but always wanted LOL. After my husband saw the parents of the ones I will be getting, it was no trouble to convince him that we needed 4! :p
Thanks Jimmy! :)

Back