• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Ball Python Rescue Project

Frank the snake

I recently rescued this Ball Python. My little buddy, Jake, 8, wanted me to name him Jafar, like the bad guy from Aladdin. I did.

He had massive shedding problems. he had shed at least twice, incompletely. When I got him he had the blue eyes. He had been in such a dry cage so long, I soaked it. (no standing water) He shed half his face one morning but didn't finish. I took him out and held the skin while he crawled out of it. He shed almost completely, minus half his face.
I peeled up the rest of his face and he shed that off. The only problem is that his eyes don't look right and it seems he has trouble seeing. He also is uninterested in food. I know he shed at least one eye cap per eye, but there might be others. Please take a look at the pictures in my Jafar album.

Also, I was told that he eats a live adult rat every two weeks in the bathtub and goes after them immediately. Two and a half weeks ago, I fed him in the bathtub and it took him forever to strike. He was smelling and checking it out, but just didn't seem to know where to strike. This time, he just seems too scared. He acts like he's blind. He gets scared when the rat does. I am hoping he has better eyes after the next shed.
Any thoughts?

I don't think he has mites. As far as I can tell it is just the free petco snake.

Ball pythons are commonly picky eaters. I wouldn't worry about him not eating. It may take awhile for him to settle in. They can go months without eating without any problems. I hope you're not trying to feed him live because a rat can do serious damage to a python, especially one who doesn't strike right away. You should see some improvement after his next shed. When you see him go blue boost up the humidity and hopefully he will have a complete shed on his own. Best of luck to you!

I would bring your animal to a snaske breeder to see if the eye caps are still stuck to eachother.

This s the time of the year some ball pythons go off feed. I would see if anyone here that breeds lives in you aera. I would ask the for some help myabe they can take a look and maybe they might be able to remove any stuck eye caps if there is any

I was trying to feed him a live rat. I was told he would only eat live rats. I also was doing so in very close supervision, ready to intervene if necessary. I've been trying to feed him live adult mice. I would much prefer feeding him mice because I am breeding so many. He has had no interest in them whatsoever. Would it be bad to feed him large mice?

I talked to Mary from Heart's Reptile World, the local snake and reptile expert. She said that he is dehydrated and his eyes should pop back out during the next shed if I maintain proper temps and humidity. THANK GOD! Who want's a blind snake?

Good to hear you were able to get some answers on his "wonky eyes"! Hopefully it will work itself out, then, with some TLC... A moist hide would be a good idea for the little guy, too, if you haven't thought of it already. =)

I have a bit of input on your feeding issues. I have a 10 (or so) year old ball python who will NOT, under ANY circumstances, take a mouse. Honestly, her dislike of mice surprises me LESS than my other BP's willingness to eat anything, simply because the species as a whole is infamous for being picky like that. My point being, your ball might be hesitating to strike because it isn't used to/doesn't like mice. I think it would be worth it to offer a rat (maybe even an f/t, just to see if he'll take it) next time you feed.

Good luck! =)

I did some research. According to my local reptile expert, He should be in a 20L and have a hot side of 90-100 degrees. Hotter than my corns. I have achieved this and he is doing better and I have noticed him drinking and bathing. As far as the feeding issue, Just after I fed my Buddie's 10 ft anaconda the rat I was trying to feed Jafar, Jafar pooped a poop I never thought possible for a snake. Obviously he wasn't hungry because he wasn't done with the last one. Also, I feel he was being fed too often. My research has shown that a full grown adult male should eat a 5 to 6 inch rat every 3 weeks. Now that I have the good temps, the right hide and water bowl, the right light (no uvb) and have closed up three sides of the cage with paper bag material taped on the outside, he is noticeably happier. He is drinking lots of water and is out on the prowl. He didn't want to eat a mouse, but his previous owner says that he only eats rats. I think he'd eat tonight if I had a rat to give him. Most importantly, His eyes are looking better after only 2 days with the right temp and humidity.

Back