• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bare spot on my snakes head?

rockinmindless

This is a really odd looking spot on his head. It is kind of white, and it looks like the skin is just completely gone. I am wondering if maybe he just rubbed it off or what happened. Do you think it will come back, or will it be scared like this?

mitchpics016.jpg

mitchpics027.jpg

My Amel had some markings like that when it was a few weeks old. I think it was from rubbing and trying to get under the substrate. That was before I switched over to Aspen from Reptile Bark. After about 2 sheds, the marks were gone. So I would not worry too much about it. If you are not using Aspen already, I would recommend doing so. The Corns love it and it is much easier for them to burrow in it. Which they also seem to love. :cheers:

Yes I am using aspen and been for the entire time I had him. I didn't notice the mark until after the first shed he had with me. Thanks for the reply, hopefully it goes away. :)

My apologies to Rockin as I don't have a digital camera and am unable to take pictures, so I am "borrowing" this post.

I brought a new snake home about 2 weeks ago. Noticed he had the bare spot on his head when I brought him home, did a search, read your post and all the replies, decided okay, nothing to worry about. My snake went into shed 2 days ago and the body shed was perfect, but the shed would not come off his head where the bare spot was. It was off his mouth & eyes and he had kind of a mohawk going on with that part of the shed sticking straight up. I got a wet towel and had him slither through with his head first over and over again. NOTHING!! So I took to pulling it off and it felt like I was picking a scab. It didn't come off easily, I literally had to tug at it. Finally got it off, fed the snake which he downed in no time so I don't think it really stressed him out. Is there anything that I can put on this to hopefully make it heal faster, or will it ever heal? He's been eating wonderfully, still a hatchling so I don't see him roaming often. He is on Aspen bedding, pet store I bought him from had aspen as well just don't know if I hurt the little guy pulling that last piece of shed off or if I will have to do this every time.

Another question, this is the first snake I've had with red eyes. Mind you, this snake came home with mites and I have taken every precaution to get rid of them. When a snake with red eyes goes into shed, the eyes don't really turn blue. They have like a black shadow or tint behind the eye which is very hard to see unless looking very close. Since shedding, the snake still has that outline of black circling about a quarter of the pupil. I've held him by his head to try and look at closer and they're not tiny dots that are moving, it's all just one semi circle. Just want to make sure this could not be mites as this was my first time dealing with those little critters as well. He just had his 3rd treatment of Nix solution in a week and a half with me cleaning his entire cage every time and laying paper towels down instead of aspen.

Thank you for your help.

Funnily enough, my amel had exactly the same thing a couple of months ago .... but he's about 15!

Seems to have just cleared up by itself .... never did find out what it was. Besides the fact that it was there (although barely noticeable), it didn't seem to bother the snake at all.

Back