• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bearded Dragon Substrate

is dried eco earth ok for bearded dragons? is it ok if they eat it or will it harm them?
and also is sphagnum moss ok for them aswel?

I put in some Eco Earth and my biggest started to eat it and i was not sure if this was ok so i replaced it with some large wood chipings (just until i can find out if eco earth or sphagnum moss is ok)

Any advise would be great.

is dried eco earth ok for bearded dragons? is it ok if they eat it or will it harm them? and also is sphagnum moss ok for them aswel?

NO! Did you do any research before you bought him??? At under 12", the dragon should not be on any form of partical substrate.

General Information

The inland or central bearded dragon (Pogona vitticeps) is swiftly becoming one of the most popular reptiles in the pet trade today. A medium-sized lizard, reaching a maximum length close to 22 inches (half of which is tail), ithey generally have a melow dispostion and seem to enjoy interacting with people. A native to south, central Australia, the Bearded Dragon can be found in arid, rocky, semi-desert and arid open woodland regions. They are diurnal (active during the day) and with proper care, can live for 10 years or more in captivity. Due to very restrictive wildlife export laws in Australia, all Beardies purchased in the United States are captive bred.

More then one?

Reptiles in general are are not social creatures. This also includes Beardies. In the wild, the only contact that dragons will usually have is during breeding season. Males will combat for females and breed. They then go their seperate ways.

In some cases, two female Dragons can be housed together if their living conditions are above and beyond ideal. This is strictly recommended for Dragons who are confirmed female, and of the same size. Be sure if houseing more then one Beardie you provide multiple basking sites.

As long as their is no obvious agression, it is completely ok to allow both of your pet dragons out for supervised “playtime.” At the first site of conflict, immediatly seperate the two to their respective enclosures.

Housing

Initially for the first 3-6 months after hatching, a rather bare enclosure is recommended, A 10 to 30 gallon glass or plastic enclosure is the best size at this age, with only a basking rock and some sort of climbing structure. If given to elaborate of a cage, babies may not be able to benefit from proper heat and UVB exposure.

Dragons grow very quickly when in optimal conditions. Do not expect a 10 or 20 gallon tank to last long!

As an adult, a minimum 40 gallon enclosure is needed. Six square foot of space is the minimum requirement. The more space, the happier and healthier your dragon will be!

Substrate

Partical Substrate

If you want a more “natural” substrate use Washed/Screened Playsand. It is easily, and rather inexpensivily found at most home improvent stores. The drawback to partical substrates is that there is a risk of a Beardie ingesting too much, which causes an impaction in the intestines (a serious condition for dragons thatcan cause paralysis or even death).

Other Substrates

Reptile Carpet, Newsprint, Paper Towels, Butcher Paper and Non-Adhesive Shelf Liner are all perfectly safe substrates to use for Beardies.

Newsprint, Paper Towels and Butcher Paper are the easiest clean up...Pull the dirtied substrate out and discard! Reptile Carpet will need to be washed with a 5% bleach solution, rinsed well and left to dry (it’s a good idea to keep an extra piece on hand to switch out). Non-Adhesive shelf liner is also very easy to clean, just wipe up up the soiled spots and every pull out and scrub with a 5% bleach solution.

Lighting

Lighting is essential for the health of a Dragon. UVB exposure is necessary to promote proper growth. Many lights sold for reptiles do not contain the essential UVB, you must carefully check the packaging to determine its UVB output. Make sure that their is no glass or plastic between your Beardie and the UVB bulb, it can block many of the UVB rays.

UVB lighting comes in two options; fluorescent and incandescent. The incandescent Mercury Vapor bulbs can be used for both UVB and basking light. The fluorescent bulb must be used in conjunction with a basking bulb (a regular house bulb works fine).

MVB bulbs can provide the necassary UVB rays for up to two years, . The fluorescent bulbs output of UVB drops drastically after 6 months.

Beardies require a photo period of 12 to 14 hours a day (except during burmation). An inexpensive timer can be used to automatically turn on and off the lighting.

Temperature

As with most reptiles, a thermal gradient is required for good health. A basking site of 100-110 degrees Fahrenheit directly beneath the light is required. Tempertaures should be close to 80 degrees Fahrenheit on the cool side. To help with digestion, a stone beneath the basking light will absorb heat and warm a Dragon’s belly.

A digital thermometer or temp gun is needed to accurately monitor enclosure temperatures.

Feeding

Insects

Dragons can be fed a variety of insects including crickets, silkworms, roaches and mealworms. Only offer the Dragon as many insects as he can eat within a 5 minute span of time. Younger dragons should be fed 2-3 times a day. Never leave any insects in your Dragon’s enclosure overnight, a hungry insect can cause damge to a sleeping Dragon.

Salads

Dragons should be offered a salad every morning. The salad should be made up of mostly greens such as mustard, turnip and collard greens. Dandelion greens, Endive, Escarole and Squash are also great staples. On occasion, other fruits and vegetables can be offered in small amounts. Iceberg lettuce should be avoided due to its lack of nutritional value.

Supplements

If your dragon is under 5 months, prey items should be dusted every ifeeding with a Calcium Powder that contains Vitamin D3. You should also dust with a multi-vitamin powder 1-2 times a week. As your Dragon rgrows, you can cut the calcium supplements back to 3 times a week and vitamin supplment to once a week.

Last edited:
YES! i did my research, but you didnt answer my question will it harm them if they eat it? i know that certain things can impact, and i could not find anything telling me if Eco Earth or Moss would impact so i thought i had better ask someone who knew before i put it in the viv, they are both big enough to have substrate in the viv, so if someone could answer my question i would be very very grateful.

I was thinking about getting a bearded dragon but was wondering about the cage requirement.

What kind of cage exactly? Tall or long? I would have no problem with either, just want to make sure I do it right and know what I would be into if I make that investment to that animal.
Thanks

I would think wood shavings would be worse for a beardie than Eco Earth could possibly be. Unless they're the large orchard chips.

And not to add to the being picked on feeling, had you done your research thoroughly you should have found a listing of approved substrates. In every thing I had ever read before getting my beardie, it clearly outlined what was good, acceptable, or just plain bad. Beardies like to lick their substrate for unknown reasons, and even during enthusiastic feeding tend to eat more of their substrate with their food.

Eco Earth is typically for moist usage of forest type critters or for arachnids. Sphagnum moss is mainly used for egg incubation or for amphibian enclosures, so again a moist application.

I didn't like newspaper because mine liked to dig and bury himself when he went to bed at night. And sand of any sort has its issues that I didn't want to chance. I've read that the calcium sand is actually worse than play sand because they tend to ingest more of it than they normally would.

I found a nice balance with wheat bran. It's soft, fluffy, easily digestable, cheap, easy to clean, and non-toxic. It even looks like naturally colored sand, and my beardie loved it. My only complaint was that with cheaper grades, it was far more dusty than the higher grade stuff, and it would cause him to have a more clouded appearance if he didn't get frequent soaks. But if that isn't an issue with you, I'd recommend it.

As for caging suggestions, mine liked to run around quite a bit when he got warmed up from the morning's basking. So I would recommend a 55 gallon tank or larger. You can also build a custom enclosure from wood as well. So long as the sides are slick and their basking perch/platform is away from the sides, they can't get out. I've seen some people having them in the galvanized metal livestock watering troughs, and that worked quite well as well so long as you don't mind the look. But I guess you could paint the outside and paint on leaves or rocks or something to decorate it up. :shrugs:

actually that would probably look kinda neat in a minimalistic modern way. Right now we have our corn in a 40 gallon "breeder" tank, would that be big enough or does it need to be bigger (ie longer?)

That should be fine for a single bearded for a while. But do keep in mind, bigger is usually better. It would work, but it just depends on the personality of the bearded as well. I've seen some lazy ones, and mine would run the legs off a race horse I think.

I had intended to get a 30 gallon breeder tank for my BP, but ended up that week with more pay and went ahead and jumped that up to a 60 gallon breeder tank. Now I'm glad I did and don't think Ozzy would be very happy in the smaller tank. Even though I did have to steal the coffee table from the living room to hold it, which caused me to go out and buy an antique table to use as a coffee table that looked vastly better in my antique furniture household anyway! So it all worked out. =P

all the wood chippings are to big for either of my beardies to eat!
and i feed them in a diff tank with no substrate so there is no chance of them digesting any whilst feeding, the beech chipping i have them on work great IMO!

they can dig and hide under it, i was just on the look out for some different kinds of substrates.

Oh by the way i dont feel picked on, i am glad that ppl are giving there honest opinion and helping me out on the way.

This is a bad idea

Dragons are a desert species and should only be kept on sand.

Your dragons, especially hatchlings and juvies, should have access to food items all day and not just at predetermined times. Until a dragon reaches adulthood, live insects must be available. Wood chips allow insects to burrow and escape predation. This allows any cricket that is undiscovered to return after the heat lamps go out and nibble on your dragon. Insects should never be left overnight in the cage with a lizard.

You really need to rethink your current husbandry practices and should avoid wood based substrates. Sifted playground sand is the single best choice for these wonderful lizards.

they have access to fresh fruit and veg all day as i replace it every morning before i go to work!
they get fed crickets twice aday (whilst im at work my brother feeds them at about 1pm) when i get home from work i give them more fresh fruit and veg and feed them about 9pm 2 hours before the lights go out at 11pm!!!

before i got my beardies i read that they only need feeding twice aday and given fresh fruit and veg on a morning!!!

when they were younger i fed them 3 times aday!!!

The wood chips are only a temp substrate untill i get my new tank build, the bottom of the tank is going to be slate, so they can run around and not slide on it like they would just bare wood and there is no chance of crix getting under the slate!!!!

By "vegetables" I hope you mean "assorted greens". Too much fruit and non-leafy vegetables is actually not good for your dragon. Offering these items as a treat every now and then is one thing but it should be a rare exception and not a normal practice.

As far as the tile idea, what is your plan to a sanitize the enclosure? One of the benefits of using a substrate medium such as sand is that the animal's waste can be removed easily and regularly. Having waste sitting in the cage is a big issue with lizards. If it is not removed, the feeder crickets in the cage will eat it and are in turn consumed by the dragon. This greatly increases the likelyhood that your dragon will develop unhealthy levels of undesirable microflora in its gut, which is potentially fatal.

I hope you understand that I'm offering these suggestions as constructively as possible. Spend a little more time researching dragon husbandry before making any other changes. :)

I spot clean there viv everyday whilst feeding them (they get fed in a different tank)

I read your not meant to put beardies on sand untill they reach 12" mine are just a little bit smaller than that so i was on the look out for something untill there big enough to go on sand.

and yes by veg, i mean greens!!!

Just on thing that puzzles me! why cant they go on sand before there 12"?, dont they live in the desert??? which is just sand!

I know your gunna tell me it's because of impaction, but in the wild they live on sand so surely they eat alot of sand in the wild before there 12"!!!

if you could answer that for me i would be very impressed!

Actually, you are incorrect.

A dessert is an area that lacks a certain percentage (can't recall the number) of rainfull. Technically, the arctic is a desert. And no, hun...Not all "hot" deserts have nothing but sand. Beardies come from parts of Australia that have a bit of sand, and a lot of rock and clay.

Hop over to beardeddragon.org and search. I know their is a very good thread on the matter somewhere in the archives.

ok but still they live on/near sand right?
they can go onto the sand when ever they want, so surely they will eat some in the wild before they are 12"

blckkat said:
Actually, you are incorrect.

A dessert is an area that lacks a certain percentage (can't recall the number) of rainfull. Technically, the arctic is a desert. And no, hun...Not all "hot" deserts have nothing but sand. Beardies come from parts of Australia that have a bit of sand, and a lot of rock and clay.

Hop over to beardeddragon.org and search. I know their is a very good thread on the matter somewhere in the archives.

Well, actually that too is not totally correct.

Currently, the most excepted practice, the Whittaker System classifies 26 terrestrial or wetland formations. One of which is the True Desert, which can be found in Australia, and native to bearded dragons. Yet, these classifications are not based on just rainfall.

A formation is based on physiognomy (the outward appearance of vegetation) + environment.

A True Desert is identified as having 1. sparse cover (<10% of vegetation represented by a species--poor mix of shrubs, grasses, succulents, and other growth forms 2. warm-temperate and subtropical climates of extreme aridity (this is where rainfall comes into place) 3. can be found in North and West Africa, the Arabian Peninsula, Central Asia, Western South America, and Australia.

And yes, the Arctic is a desert. It is classified as an Alpine Desert.

I don't want to come off as a smart ass, but I just wanted to help clarify your statement, and maybe educate everyone else in the process.

Danvega - I wasn't going to go into that much detail. *lol* I had told her their is a complete thread on BeardedDragon.org about Deserts if she would like to read up on it. Looks like as her previous statement said, she should be "impressed" with us. *lol*

Traf - Dragons are NOT in a "sand only" environment in the wild. I think that is what you are missing. But yes, all dragons in the wild probably do eat a bit of sand. And dragons do die in the wild from impaction and other issues. The point of the rule "no particule substrate under 12" is to minimize the risk of impaction. It's no different the feeding f/t to a snake...Reptile keepers want to prevent risk as much as they can to their captive animals.

I think the key point to remember is proper care can greatly extend the life of your cold-blooded friends. I'm sure that bearded dragons (and cornsnakes for the sake of this discussion) ingest many forms of substates and foreign objects when they are living in the wild. And, as a result, their lives may be cut short due to impactions, among other things. Yet, with proper care, captive raised animals can live fourfold compared to wild living animals.

I have 2 bearded dragons, and use newspaper to line their tanks. I change it about every other day, because they ruffle it up, which tells me they are finished reading that section and are bored with it.

I personally do not see any benefits that sand may provide, other than the fact that it is easy to spot clean. I think it probably will just lead to problems in the long run.

Back