• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Becoming One with the Cornsnake

aylimn

Corn snake novice
Hello all fellow corn snake lovers. I am new to this world. I love reptiles in general and was recently offered the chance to take on a 5-year old corn snake from a lady who inherited her and didn't like snakes. So I did a bit of research and here I sit now with a lovely little 5 foot long scaly woman named Rusty.

Anyway, I've rarely handled snaked in my life, so this was quite a commitment to take on. Did some digging and asked some questions..handled her for the first time she'd been handled in a year last week. Since then, I've handled her a few times. Taking it easy and all.

I've noticed that being comfortable with snake handling seems to involve a mental state of feeling at one with the snake, or in a zen space, or, if you will, just being in a calm and centered state of mind so as to approach the snake in the best possible mindset.

Anyone else feel this way or had some thoughts on it?

I always tell the kids and people at shows who want to handle a snake that if they relax, the snake will be more relaxed as well. I believe if someone is real nervous to handle a snake they can actually pick up on it and be a bit flightier, but if they sense the person is calm they also will be.

I think handling a snake is the most relaxing thing one can do. A snake feels like silk, or water, running through your hands. I love the feeling of a snake draped around my neck, or resting on my chest, or pressed against my face. I think a snake can sense a person who enjoys the feeling of a snake, who cherishes and respects it.

LOVE love love and totally agree with the above statements. When I first got our babies I was nervious and they rattled their tails at me. But I told myself I just had to nab them out of their tank and prove to them I wasn't going to hurt them. All my snakes are comfortable being handled, some more than others. It's just one more reason why they are such neat pets, they are fun to hold.

I agree, they are really cool animals partly because of the way they move and feel. They are cute and relaxing IMO. The first time I handled a snake I felt like I'd done it a million times! Too bad the general public thinks snakes are creepy/evil just because of what they eat and Hollywood. An angry snake is less likely to bite if you show confidence and no hesitation which is pretty interesting.

I began handling snakes at a very young age, much to the horror of those adults around me. Whenever I'm in a stressed or in a fussy mood a snake handling session is sure to calm my frazzled nerves. It feels like a meditation exercise or even a ritual.

People in ancient Greek cultures kept snakes in the house for rodent control as well as mystical purposes. Women left out honey and even fermented beverages for them. Keeping snakes taps me into these ancient mysteries and shadowy practices from forgotten times. I imagine myself as a snake-handling priestess in one of my past lives.

Absolutely agree. A snake is an animal that works on instinct - you have to "tune in" and try and see the world the way they do, to have any chance of getting them to be at peace with you. Only a few fail to respond to gentle sympathetic handling.

Instincts are:
- Am I safe?
- Am I the right temperature?
- Am I hungry?
- Am I thirsty?

And in the breeding season for adults:
- Can I find another Corn to mate with?

If you can keep the first four satisfied - and that involves trying to understand what a Corn sees as a threat - then most people will eventually have a calm snake on their hands.

I recently went to a Reptile exhibit at my college, Snakes Alive! it was called, run by Tom from Wisconsin, some of you might know him. I was one of the few people who would handle the corn snake. I was a little timid at first, it being a corn I wasn't familiar with, but he was pretty chilled out and I relaxed right away. I held him on my chest like a baby for quite a while before someone got brave to hold him. (funny thing, they were all eager to hold the 3 and a half foot alligator, but were scared of the corn snake lol) I felt really confident and comfortable, which is odd, I usually am very nervous in crowds, but I feel like the snake in my hands gave me confidence and eased my nerves.

They're so amazing and smooth. I really agree with what Nanci said about them feeling like silk. I think confidence and being relaxed really does help keep the snake calm. If I feel a little apprehensive I just take a deep breath and try to imagine all the negative emotions exiting my body and mind when I exhale. Dunno if that works, but I do feel a bit better once I've done it.

Good luck with your new snake. Building trust in each other is a beautiful journey, especially with your very first corn snake. :)

One of my teachers became interested in snakes when I told her about my budding collection. She looked up statistics of snake owners and told me that reptile people make more money because we are less intimidated or more intimidating since we have conquered a basic primate fear of snakes.

I find cool and confident will calm most sankes. At least the ons who are not prone to nippiness! I've had ball pythons who had never been held without "balling up" crawling through my fingers and over my arms just by picking them up slowly and confidently, not squeezing, and making little "what a good girl/boy" statements.

OK, talking to them probably does nothing, but I like to think they understand, lol!

I think it's good to talk to your snakes. It makes me feel good as the handler, which calms me down and probably calms down the snake in turn. I've noticed that I definitely talk more to nervous snakes than to calm or curious snakes.

No matter how much stress I'm feeling, it disappears when I have a snake in my hands.

Yes, I have to be at one with the snake! If I am in a hurry, or I get pushy, the snake gets antsy. I think of it as snakes run on a slower time than I do. I have to move slowly and relax. I have to let the snake move at its own pace. Snakes help me to enjoy doing something slow and relaxing and just for me.

Also, my new snake who isn't friendly with me yet, Ophelia, HATES it when I talk to her. If I am quiet, she will now tolerate me (not try to bite me or flail around)- but if I talk to her at all, she FREAKS OUT. I guess she doesn't like my voice.

I would have to agree with the Nanci and the others who mentioned how relaxing it is to hold my corns. Okay, the ones I currently have are on the small side, so they don't really go around my neck yet ;) But feeling them moving through my fingers when I've had a stressful day is one of the most relaxing things I can think of. If I'm not Zen approaching, I certainly am leaving.

My yearling snow or baby ghost are the best for this, as they are calm personified. My boy can be moody and sometimes flighty, so I try to already be calm when I approach him. It is very meditative feeling them slip through and around your fingers.

With me its definitely a tactile thing. I LOVE the feel of them. Like living jewelry. I'm also prone to hellacious migraines and when I've finished with a pretty savage one and can bear to be touched again, I usually take out one of my bigger snakes and wrap them around my neck. The touch and feel of them moving across my skin is very soothing afterwards. Kinda like snakey massage.

Devon

My husband suffers from chronic pain, as well as other disorders. Snake handling helps him relax. Until Titus tries to break his glasses.

Playing with my snakes is definitely a stress-buster for me. I find that when I move more slowly and gently with them, they relax more. They are also more relaxed in lower light settings.

Oh yes defitely...snakes do make me feel "zen"! And they themselves feel like silk. Whenever i'm stressed, i go to my snake. Cause she will stay with me (unlike my cat), i can touch her (unlike my fish), and she doesn't have sharp claws (unlike my rats). I have almost fell asleep with her many times!

Back