• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

bedding question, Carefresh

spleenchild

Hello again, I was wondering if anyone has used Carefresh pet bedding for their corn snakes. A new pet store opened in my neighborhood and he suggest it. Its a recylced paper product that shouldn't cause mouth rot and looks ok. Here's the link to check it out.

http://www.carefresh.net/

I think a few have used it with no problems (I thinksssss). Maybe someone mixed it with aspen too. But I think you can buy aspen in bulk cheaper.

I have used it and I think many here have tried it. It is kind of dusty. I would worry about respiratory problems. Also it is pricey. I don’t think there are any real advantages to it over aspen wood shavings. Pet stores like it because of the markup they make.

One thing I have noticed about Carefresh is that when it gets wet it crumbles into this nasty grey pulp. I personally feel it is worthless as a pet bedding, period, and I no longer use it for any of my critters. Many small animal people insist it is the only worthy bedding for rats, cavies, etc, but mine are on aspen along with all my snakes, and they do just fine.

I used it for a while. It's Ok, but aspen is much better. I was mainly using it because I had store credit with a store that didn't carry aspen and I needed to spend it on something! I wouldn't use it for rodents at all because it gets stinky a lot faster than wood chips. For snakes it worked ok but still gets nasty faster than aspen and needs to be changed or spot cleaned more often. I do like the colored carefresh to use in delis at shows, but in my tubs I stick to aspen. I never noticed it was terribly dusty when I was using it but I'm sure that can vary by batch.

In my opinion, it's dusty and gets smelly kind of quickly, and it's definitely more expensive than aspen. So really, my vote goes for aspen.

I use carefresh for my ratties only because I've noticed them sneezing a lot from aspen dust but I usually just use aspen for the snakes. But as mentioned Aspen is a lot cheaper to buy in bulk so it's all up to you.

Short answer: I don't think it'll really hurt to use Carefresh.

Back