• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

beginner with many ?'s

Garrett__16

I have a list of questions about corn snakes since I am planning on buying pair soon. (an albino female and a reg. male)

1. I was wondering where I could call to have someone send me a corn snake manual.

2. What size of aquarium should i have for a pair of adult corns?

3. What is the best substrate for my snakes. It seems that everyone on here recommends aspen but I live about 100 miles from the closest pet shop that sells aspen chips and am wondering what I could use as a back-up in case I run out of aspen.

4. What kind of heat source and light is best for my snake and can the light also be the heat source?

5. What accesories do you have in your tank and what do u recommend for me?

6. What and how often should i feed my snakes? (can i feed them frozen adult mice?)

Go online to http://www.corn-utopia.com
This is Kathy Loves site. She is the author of the Cornsnake Manual and sells them through her site. Also, Petsmart usually sells this book.

It is recommended that corns are not housed together to prevent one eating the other or an early breeding. Also, it is hard to keep track of each snake's bodily functions. (shedding, excretion) One adult corn needs a 20 gallon long tank to suit it for life. So, if you go against our words, like some do successfully, and house 2 together, I would say 30 gallon or 40? would be okay. You don't want to stress babies out though, they need a small tank so that they can easily hide and find things such as hide and water. ! ten gallon is suitable for each hatchling.

Aspen is preferred on these forums. Paper towels or newspaper is cheap and neat looking. They can be shredded too, if you prefer.

A heating pad is all that is needed. Buy the correct one for you tank's size and don't forget a thermometer. The ideal temp. is 80 degrees. UV lights are optional and most don't use them.

They need the substrate, water dish, and hides. I use water dished made for dogs with the lip under them to pick them up and the snakes love to hide in them. You can buy the logs that are halfed in pet stores and paper towel rolls are great too. Some also prefer climbing branches. They sell grapevine in petstores. Be wary of bringing any outdoor branches, etc. inside your cage.

Hatchlings eat pinkies. Baby hairless mice. You can order frozen online at http://cajunmice.com or many other places. You buy depending on the size of your snake. Frozen mice are preferred.

Order and read the Corn Snake manual before you go out and buy these corns! Good luck! I hope all of this typing helps.

Excellent advice!!!

Well since that covered just about everything.....the only thing I would add is to start on this forum and read read read. I suggest reading all of the post because on alot of them a seperate question is asked and answeared in a single thread. I have found many terrific ideas and warnings from experienced people that way.

:D Good luck

Colleen

the manual....

anyone getting a corn for the first time should first get "THE BOOK"...
-------------------------
what to do with the book?
1. READ IT...
2. READ IT AGAIN...
3. READ IT AT WORK..
4. LAMINATE IT AND READ IT IN THE SHOWER...
5. TAPE BINDING BACK TOGETHER AND READ IT AGAIN...
6. GO GET A COUPLE OF SNAKES... (one will not be enough)
seriously, that book will answer probably most questions you have and probably a good many others you'll think of later... the best $10 you can spend if you want a cornsnake... good luck... :) ---jim

10$ ??? Must be nice!

Here in Canada The Cornsnake Manual is a bit more expensive than 10$. It was still the best 25$ I've spent (aside from the money I spent to actually buy a snake!). Of course, the book is more expensive here, plus the biggest bookstore in town didn't carry it and I had to have it ordered so it cost me over double the amount it costs those of you from the US. Still money well spent!

Re: 10$ ??? Must be nice!

Katie said:
Here in Canada The Cornsnake Manual is a bit more expensive than 10$. It was still the best 25$ I've spent (aside from the money I spent to actually buy a snake!).

Katie (and other Canucks),
I found it in PetSmart for $14.95 here in Ottawa. I don't remember if there was a PetSmart in Moncton but I think one was just opening in Fredericton.

Chapters/Indigo didn't have it in stock here either.

Yeah, it was Chapters/Indigo...

I ordered it from them. By the time I got it here it cost me 24.87$. Money well spent!

And also, we don't have a Pet Smart here (and not to start a big Pet Store vs. Non Pet Store war) but even if we DID have a Pet Smart here, I wouldn't buy from them. I don't have much love for the pet stores in this area. I'm sure others are different but there are some pretty nasty ones around here.

Last edited:
Back