• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

behavior if scared?

dara

What behavior will a snake exhibit if it is scared in an enclosed space? Run, hide, or fight?

Yes, yes, and yes. :D How's that for helpful??

Each snake is an individual. In a way, they are similar to people; reacting differently to a situation. It has been my experience that corns generally tend to mellow with age, and adopt a "whatever" approach to dealing with life events.

Many corn snakes will exhibit a tail rattling behavior if and when they feel threatened. My older corn used to do this alot when he wasnt consistently being handled. My younger corn (6months) will usually try the duck and run routine. :)

Our Anery never shows any signs of feeling threatened but he will grab on to cage furniture with his tail if he doesn't want to be handled.

Our Okeetee has run the gamut of normal behavior. She used to run away, sometimes rattle her tail and she's crapped on me twice when I was holding her.

Last night she struck me (first time) when I was picking her up out of her feed box. I'm not sure she even opened her mouth because she moved so fast. It was my own fault though. I freaked her out when I was adding a second fuzzy to the feed box. I usually lay both food items out for her first and then place her in the box, but this time I added the second meal when she finished the first. I accidentally 'dropped' the fuzzy in front of her and I could tell it really scared her.

For all the newbies out there afraid of being bitten by their hatchlings- it felt like someone tapped my hand with a pencil. If I hadn't seen it happen I hardly would have noticed it at all.

Cheers,
Jason

Last edited:
I was bitten by my adult once. He hadnt been handled for a while and I didnt really think much about it. I stuck my hand in his cage and BAM he got me. It didnt hurt, and I did question whether he bit me or just rammed me with his head, but the fast movement had me drawing my hand back. I went ahead and got him out, and about 10 minutes later realized I had the very smallest of a pin-prick wound on my hand. The whole thing made me less afraid of being bit than I had been initially!

:D

Back