• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Being pregnant and having snakes

2manysnakes

I smell a rat
We currently own 28 snakes (41 if you include the new hatchlings). I am 13 weeks pregnant with my 4th child. I am very protective of my babies, and wanted to know if there are any illnesses, diseases, or infections that could be transmitted to my developing baby from the snakes. I have tried to research this topic, but I am coming up with nothing helpful. Does anyone know if there are things I should be concerned with? Things that may not effect me but could effect the baby? I may sound paranoid, but our son died last year, and I do not think I could bear to lose another child. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

This is my opinion, as long as you use precautions like washing your hands, there should be no problems. Snakes can carry salmonella but if you wash hands, not a problem. I don't think you'll be putting your snake to your mouth or kissing it. Actually I think cats with their litter boxes are more of threat then a snake. again just my opinion, susang

I honestly haven't ran into any at our clinic in 15yrs. that doesn't mean it can happen. I know we've had illnesses with raw fish and cat feces with the Mother and the fetus was fine at birth. Not sure the long term effects on the child.
Did your OB convey why your baby boy died? I know we do try and figure out the cause of the losses here. So sorry for your loss!

Congrats on you new pregnancy. :)

I am also unaware of any diseases apart from Salmonella that you would need to worry about. The salmonella could make you sick and that in turn could affect your baby. Proper handwashing should be all you need to do. Remember though, that your snakes crawl through their cages and theoretically can carry the salmonella on them so I would not recommend letting them crawl all over you.

Cat litterboxes are more dangerous to you since some cats, especially outdoor cats can be infected with Toxoplasmosis which is definitely known to cause harm to the fetus if the mother becomes infected during pregnancy (although I forget during which trimester it is most dangerous). The toxoplasmosis is transmitted through the cat's feces.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and I am very sorry for the loss of your son.

Thank you everyone. It is good to have the opinions of several people who know about snakes. No worries about the cat thing, I am severely allergic lol. I do always wash my hands before and after handling snakes, and I avoid letting them crawl all over me. I do miss my snaky snuggles though lol. I just want to be sure that I have done everything I can to protect my baby. Thank you again.

And just for the record, people get both Salmonella and toxoplasmosis more frequently from handling raw meat, especially chicken, (including knives, cutting boards, etc that aren't cleaned properly) than from reptiles or cats. Ringworm and scabies are also more commonly acquired from other sources rather than pets, but doctors always like to blame poor creatures instead of poor hygiene habits....don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by saying they're filthy...literally...

Thats what I was going to say, Id worry more about getting something off chicken......or even chop meat and vegetables with all the ecoli outbreaks.

Snakes are like anything else.....you put your hands into the fish tank, wash them real good with antibacterial soap.

My mom had cats when she had me, and I remember them telling me dad had changing cat litter duty throughout the pregnancy LOL

Toxoplasmosis sounds familiar, isnt that what cats get from pointsettas? Those christmas plants....

Back