• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

best coral wannabe?

ZiVvmO

im curious as to what the best of the coral lookalikes would be in terms of temperament, etc.

i really love the coloration of them, but i know some can be more feisty and some can be more calm. basically, im looking for a corn snake that looks like a milk or king snake (or conversely, im looking for a milk/king that acts like a corn). :D

I'm sorry I don't understand what you want: a coral snake is venomous, you want a corn that looks like a milk snake or a gentle milk/ king snake. I think you kind of get what you get or go to a show and handle milks and kings and see if you like them. good luck, susan

Well...milks and kings are very similar to corns. They tend to musk more, and might be a tad bit more bitey as hatchlings, but they tame down fairly quickly. I have kings that are gentler than any of my corns, and I have a corn that is more feisty than most of my kings. It's about the individual snake, not necessarily the species...

So...is your question which one most closely resembles the coral snake? If that is your question, than a Scarlet King would be the answer, IMO. It is the one that the little song about coral snakes is based on..."Red on Yellow will kill a fellow. Red on black is a friend to Jack"...

tyflier said:
So...is your question which one most closely resembles the coral snake?
the question is: Of the milks and kings that have the red/black/yellow color pattern, which ones are most tame and well tempered (ie behaved like corns)?

(and yes i know coral snakes are poisonous...)

ZiVvmO said:
the question is: Of the milks and kings that have the red/black/yellow color pattern, which ones are most tame and well tempered (ie behaved like corns)?

(and yes i know coral snakes are poisonous...)
Coral snakes are venomous. If you eat one, nothing happens...

To answer your question...again...kings and milks are very similar to corns in temperment. They tend to musk a bit more, and may be more bitey, but it is all about the individual snake, not the species. The "tamest" one is the one you handle most often without any problems...

I think tyflier just answered your question. It all depends on the particular snake and not the species itself in some of these cases.

The lampropeltis family is just a little bit more jittery but they usually tame up pretty nicely. My king is a nasty one, however my friends king is more hand tamed than even my corns are. I have seen the same situations with the milksnakes. Even most young cornsnakes are apt to be aggressive.

As for which lampropeltis bearing the red/black/yellow coloring is the most docile, you'll have to check that out for yourself. Snakes have personality differences too.

Sort of Hijack...Then Back On Topic

tyflier said:
Coral snakes are venomous. If you eat one, nothing happens...

I'm a little confused about my toad, Olivia. She secretes "venom," (it's called that everywhere) but if a dog or whatever licks her, it gets poisoned. She has two things:

Bufotenin (also known as bufotenine), is a tryptamine related to the neurotransmitter serotonin. It is an alkaloid found in the skin of some species of toads; in mushrooms, higher plants, and mammals; and possibly in the brain, plasma, and urine of schizophrenics.

The name bufotenin originates from the Bufo genus of toads, which includes several species of psychoactive toads (such as Bufo alvarius and Bufo marinus) that secrete bufotoxins from their parotoid glands. Bufotenin is very similar in chemical structure to the hallucinogen psilocin; the only structural difference is that the hydroxyl (-OH) group is located one carbon over on the indole ring. However, pharmacologically, it is more closely related to 5-MeO-DMT and DMT,[citation needed] chemicals that often occur in plant and animal species in which bufotenin is found. Whether bufotenine is also hallucingenic has been the subject of debate among researchers.

She also has 5-MeO-DMT:

5-MeO-DMT was first synthesized in 1936, and in 1959 it was isolated as one of the psychoactive ingredients of Anadenanthera peregrina seeds used in preparing Yopo snuff. It was once believed to be a major player in the psychoactive effects of the snuff. However, recent tests confirm that bufotenin is the main active psychoactive ingredient of Yopo and that DMT and 5-MeO-DMT are present in quantities too small to elicit much effects. It occurs in many organisms that contain bufotenin(e) (5-hydroxy-DMT), and is the O-methyl analogue of that compound.

Traditionally 5-MeO-DMT has been used in psychedelic snuff made from Virola bark resin, and may be a trace constituent of ayahuasca when plants such as Diplopterys cabrerana are used as an admixture. 5-MeO-DMT is also found in the venom of the Colorado River Toad (Bufo alvarius), although there is no direct evidence this was used as a hallucinogen until recent times.

Use and effects: When used as a drug in its purified form, 5-MeO-DMT is smoked, insufflated, or injected and is active at a dose of as little as 2 mg. 5-MeO-DMT is also active orally, when taken with an monoamine oxidase inhibitor, but according to numerous reports, the combination with MAOI is extremely unpleasant and has a strong body-load. According to the researcher Jonathan Ott, 5-MeO-DMT is active orally with doses over 30 mg without aid of a MAOI.

The onset of effects occurs in seconds after smoking/injecting, or minutes after insufflating, and the experience is sometimes described as similar to a near-death experience. Peak effects last for approximately 5-10 minutes, when smoked. When insufflated, the peak effects are considerably less intense, but last for 15-25 minutes on average.

Although similar in many respects to its close relatives DMT and bufotenin (5-OH-DMT), the effects are typically not as visual. Some users report experiencing no visual effects from it even at very high doses.

Ok, Back on subject:

Inez the Nelson's Milk is a very poor cornsnake substitute!

Inez_02_2007004_800.jpg

Zee is much calmer, but you definitely wouldn't mistake him for a Coral, though in South America various tri-colored hoggies are often referred to as False Coral Snakes.

Zee03_07048cr800.jpg

Nanci

I'm a little confused about my toad, Olivia. She secretes "venom," (it's called that everywhere) but if a dog or whatever licks her, it gets poisoned. She has two things: ...

This is my understanding of the difference between "poisonous" and "venomous", though this is obviously a form of semantics and is open to debate and discussion:

In general, venom is injected and poison is ingested, meaning a venom is put into you via a delivery system...fangs, hypodermic needle, thorns...whatever means. It can also be secreted through the skin and enter the blood stream. Poisons are eaten.

There are venoms that act as a poison when ingested, and certainly there are poisons that act like a venom when injected. There are alos toxins that have both properties.

Again...it's a matter of semantics, and is only really important to the science community, and a few people trying to make a point about the manner in which some people might ask a question...

In other words...ask a snotty question, get a snotty answer...;)

Nanci said:
I didn't ask a snotty question...

NAnci

I don't think you did either! Maybe a little off topic, but I've been thinking the same thing ever since I read your 4 toad thread. The "poison" of the poison dart frogs is somtimes commonly refered to as venom as well, though not in the name of the frog.. And the phrase "toad venom" is very common as well. It does make you wonder if it's not as simple as ingesting vs injected..

But then when I do a search I get this.. http://www.calacademy.org/exhibits/venoms/html/venoms_101.html
and this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venom

Maybe they call it venom because you can't have a church where you ask people to smoke poison?

Nanci

Back on topic.
The hands down winner for a coral look-a-like has got to be the Mexican Milksnake. They are generally about the most docile of kings, and snakes in general. Here's a pic of mine, I call him Cheech.

Last edited:
Nanci said:
I didn't ask a snotty question...

NAnci
NO!! Total misunderstanding..."Snotty" was in referance to MY original response:
"Coral snakes are venomous. If you eat it nothing happens..."

THAT was the "snotty answer"...

Sorry, Nanci...I certainly didn't mean for you to think I was referring to you...

tyflier said:
NO!! Total misunderstanding..."Snotty" was in referance to MY original response:

THAT was the "snotty answer"...

Sorry, Nanci...I certainly didn't mean for you to think I was referring to you...
so insensitive... :twohammer
:laugh:

Back