• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Best mating age...

krazybob

Krazy About Snakes
I know the answer is probably in here somewhere but the search engine is no help here...

What is the best age for mating? I have a female corn that will be 2 in next years (2007) breeding cycle. She's a pretty big girl, about 2 feet now and eating like a pig. Will she be too young to be healthy mated next year or should I wait.

I need the answer for more than one reason... I need to know when to start working on the wife to add another snake to the household. :dgrin:

The easiest answer is 3/3/3....3 yrs old, 3 ft long and 300 grams. Length and weight are the main issues. You need to make sure she's at least 300 grams, much more is preferable because she will use up much of her body's stores to produce the eggs. If she's too small, she can easily become eggbound.

Males can breed a little younger than females. my 2 year old male had no problem. I just don't like the fact he is now refusing food as 'love is in the air' and he still has not reached full size, hopefully a viv in another room will fix that. I think in the Corn Snake manual it says the younger males can breed but not as many times as the older ones. I just put mine with one female.

Well what is a good age for a male that will have enough energy to brred with at least 3 females in one spring. He would need alot of juice in him to do it but how old would fit that???

I've only bred 2 females with the same male but I would think he'd have to be full grown, at least 3 or older and an experienced breeder.
If you want to breed it makes sense to have a backup male anyway, if your main one escapes or turns out to be infertile or anything happens to him it's a long wait for another one to grow up. (If I followed my own advice I'd have more males but I am trying to keep my group small right now.)

dionythicus said:
The easiest answer is 3/3/3....3 yrs old, 3 ft long and 300 grams. Length and weight are the main issues. You need to make sure she's at least 300 grams, much more is preferable because she will use up much of her body's stores to produce the eggs. If she's too small, she can easily become eggbound.

My question is I have got a female who is kinda short and fat. About 14 months old and i belive she will be more than 300g by the time she is 3 but not so sure she'll hit 3 feet. Using the 3/3/3 rule is it still safe to breed her at 3 years old and over 300g if she is under 3 feet. (you never know the short stubby corn might catch on LOL)

I have a 3 year old male who has covered 5 females this spring and shows no sign of slowing down or losing interest...in fact, I think it's made him a bit full of himself. I usually have a bachelor pad for all of my adult males and just rotate them out to cover the girls...but this guy has gone a big hyper-horny and won't leave the other boys alone so I'm keeping him in with one of his girlfriends for now until I figure out what to do with him.

I hear males as little as 90g have successfully covered females but I haven't had my 140g males show many signs of readiness so I guess it's partially individual.

If anyone here cools there corns how do you???

I am just wondering I been hearing a lot of differents patterns
SHARE YOURS!!!

Back