• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

best pairing scenario

hzahorka

Borderline Corn Addict
I am trying to plan ahead for the '06 breeding season a little bit. I have a female blizzard that I could breed back to either the normal multi het (bloodred, motley and hypo) or to my ghost het snow...what would the outcome be for each of these?
I tried to use the whole breeding calculator thing but got confuzzed! :crazy02:

hzahorka said:
I am trying to plan ahead for the '06 breeding season a little bit. I have a female blizzard that I could breed back to either the normal multi het (bloodred, motley and hypo) or to my ghost het snow...what would the outcome be for each of these?
I tried to use the whole breeding calculator thing but got confuzzed! :crazy02:

Blizzard x Normal het bloodred, motley, hypo = Normals het amel, charcoal and a variety of combos of bloodred, motley, hypo.

Blizzard x Ghost het amel = 50% normal het charcoal, anery, hypo, amel ; 50% amel het anery, charoal, hypo.

At least, I'm pretty sure---I am tired, but that should be right.

Joejr14 said:
Blizzard x Normal het bloodred, motley, hypo = Normals het amel, charcoal and a variety of combos of bloodred, motley, hypo.

the "and a variety of" may be very confusing for him.
Joe meant, that Bloodred, Motley, and Hypo have a chance of 50% being in a hatchling - so correct it would be:
Normal het. Amel, Charcoal 50% poss.het. Bloodred, Motley, Hypo

If you could take out several several Individuals and "look" into their genetics, you'll find all of them being het. Amel, Charcoal and some will be also het. Bloodred, Hypo or Hypo, Motley, or Motley or nothing. I think thats why he wrote variety.
It does NOT mean, that you get Normals and a variety of Bloodreds, Motleys and Hypos!!!

Menhir said:
the "and a variety of" may be very confusing for him.
Joe meant, that Bloodred, Motley, and Hypo have a chance of 50% being in a hatchling - so correct it would be:
Normal het. Amel, Charcoal 50% poss.het. Bloodred, Motley, Hypo

If you could take out several several Individuals and "look" into their genetics, you'll find all of them being het. Amel, Charcoal and some will be also het. Bloodred, Hypo or Hypo, Motley, or Motley or nothing. I think thats why he wrote variety.
It does NOT mean, that you get Normals and a variety of Bloodreds, Motleys and Hypos!!!

Actually the variety works like this. Take the clutch and split it in half. One of those groups is het for blood. Now, mix them back up and splint them in half again (differently this time). Again, one group would be het for a trait, let's call this one motley. Mix them up a third time. Again, splint them in half, different from the previous two times. One of those groups will be het hypo. That's how it realistically works out. If I can remember how to figure those that will be het one, two or three traits, then I could give percentages, but that's the best visiual I can paint right now.

Aehm - what? :shrugs:
I know, you "construct" the hets. by that way, but that doesn't make a sense to the guy asking for that nor it does describes "variety". I know what Joe meant, I just wanted to make it more clear to someone that does not already know how the genetics work.

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the help here. My best bet would be to go with the blizz x normal as far as I can tell right now. All babies will be normal in color but give me the bigger chance of color range from breeding a pair back to one another...right?
Oh, and...I'm not a guy lol <smiles> mom of 3 here, names Heather ;o)

hzahorka said:
Hi everyone,
All babies will be normal in color but give me the bigger chance of color range from breeding a pair back to one another...right?

I tend to say no!
The Babys are just definetly het. Charcoal and Amel - the rest is POSSIBILITY that means it can be but it doesn't has to. If you take out 1.1 of that clutch, one may be het. Hypo and Motley, the other het. Bloodred and you won't see anything in their offspring than Amel and Charcoal and Blizzards.

The "safer" Thing for a high variety in F2 would be the other pairing with animals being definetly het. charcoal, anery, hypo, amel and 50% of them being homo Amel (showing the trait).
That would give you such a clutch (e.g. Normal x Amel - calculated with my signature...):

27/128 Normal het.Amelanistic 66% poss.het. Anerythristic 66% poss.het.Charcoal 66% poss.het.Hypomelanistic
9/128 Anerythristic het.Amelanistic 66% poss.het. Charcoal 66% poss.het.Hypomelanistic
9/128 Charcoal het.Amelanistic 66% poss.het. Anerythristic 66% poss.het.Hypomelanistic
9/128 Hypomelanistic het.Amelanistic 66% poss.het. Anerythristic 66% poss.het.Charcoal
27/128 Amelanistic 66% poss.het. Anerythristic 66% poss.het.Charcoal 66% poss.het.Hypomelanistic
3/128 Anerythristic Charcoal het.Amelanistic 66% poss.het. Hypomelanistic
3/128 Anerythristic Hypomelanistic het.Amelanistic 66% poss.het. Charcoal
3/128 Charcoal Hypomelanistic het.Amelanistic 66% poss.het. Anerythristic
9/128 Anerythristic Amelanistic 66% poss.het. Charcoal 66% poss.het.Hypomelanistic
9/128 Charcoal Amelanistic 66% poss.het. Anerythristic 66% poss.het.Hypomelanistic
9/128 Hypomelanistic Amelanistic 66% poss.het. Anerythristic 66% poss.het.Charcoal
1/128 Anerythristic Charcoal Hypomelanistic het.Amelanistic
3/128 Anerythristic Charcoal Amelanistic 66% poss.het. Hypomelanistic
3/128 Anerythristic Hypomelanistic Amelanistic 66% poss.het. Charcoal
3/128 Charcoal Hypomelanistic Amelanistic 66% poss.het. Anerythristic
1/128 Anerythristic Charcoal Hypomelanistic Amelanistic

Oh, and...I'm not a guy lol <smiles> mom of 3 here, names Heather ;o)

Sorry for that - Replace "guy" with "girl" instead :)

OK...now all this 27/128, 9/128, 3/128 does that mean like 27 out of 128 hatchlings will be Normal het.Amelanistic 66% poss.het. Anerythristic 66% poss.het.Charcoal 66% poss.het.Hypomelanistic, etc...?
And what x what = a Blizzard? Charcoal and a ???

As I said, that is Pairing Blizzard with Ghost het. Amel - and paring 2 of these hatchling together again - in my example, one of the normal looking ones and one of the Amels. Clear so far?

The 9/128 etc. is just a ratio - it doesn't mean that 9 out of 128 ARE XYZ. It's like rolling the dice - your chances getting a 6 are 1/6 - but that doesn't mean that one out of 6 attempts gives you a 6 - that is just true for very large number and so is the ratio in the hatchlings.
This ratio is not a guarantee, but it's better than nothing and thats how probabilistics works.

Questions left? :grin01:

Back