• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Best Surface?

Ocelot

I am just wondering, what is the best "bedding" so to speak for a vivarium and your corn snake. Currently I use wood chips but I'm not a big fan of them 1. because one time my baby corn swallowed a piece and 2. its hard to find poop.

I was going to use sand, but then I heard thats not good either.

I know you could use newspaper or carpety thing, but I am a fan of aesthetics. :D

Thanks ;)

I think most would agree the preffered substrate choice is aspen bedding. I use the shredded aspen, but I know it is available in chips as well.

Also, to avoid the risk of your corn getting impacted, you can feed in a seperate container.

-Tony

Ocelot said:
I am just wondering, what is the best "bedding" so to speak for a vivarium and your corn snake. Currently I use wood chips but I'm not a big fan of them 1. because one time my baby corn swallowed a piece and 2. its hard to find poop.

I was going to use sand, but then I heard thats not good either.

I know you could use newspaper or carpety thing, but I am a fan of aesthetics. :D

Thanks ;)

Aspen is what most here us with wood chip and newpaper as next, but it depends what you a "fan" of. Check out aspen , it also easy to spot clean. But next time you feed . Do it outside of the Viv so you don't have the same problem.

Good Luck :cheers:

Lennycorn said:
Aspen is what most here us with wood chip and newpaper as next, but it depends what you a "fan" of. Check out aspen , it also easy to spot clean. But next time you feed . Do it outside of the Viv so you don't have the same problem.

Yeah I fed my snake once in the vivarium, but never again.

On the issue of feeding in a tub, do you guys leave the food in the tub or do you "hand" the mice to your snake like with a tweezers or something?

I checked out that aspen there, it looks a bit like shredded paper! Currently I have wood chips that are like little squares. Is aspen attractive looking, do you think?

Hi!
You are right to avoid sand. It gets in their lungs and under their scales. I have tried just about everything. Aspen is light colored, so you can find the feces, and it looks good. They wont swallow any as long as the feeding is in a seperate container, which gives you a good oportunity to clean out the tank and refill the water bowl, etc. Reptibark looks good, and is okay except that it is a little dusty and you can't find the feces and urates as easily. I have used Care Fresh Ultra (Ultra only, the others are dusty) as well. It is great for burrowing, and easy to see the poop. It is not as natural looking though as aspen though. Papertowels work great, but don't look as nice. Tell us what you decide to do and how it works out for you. :cheers:

I lay th emouse down, and wiggle it slightly with tongs if needed. Don't hand feed; fingers look like pinkies. :)

I think aspen looks good. My snakes like to bury in it an it is easy to clean.

As far as feeding, it is up to you. I feed my snakes in a 20H with news paper in the bottom. I introduce the food with tongs, I use thawed mice, and I like to watch my snakes constrict by wiggling the mouse a bit.

It depends on your snake though. Mine are not shy at all, so I don't worry about feeding in the dark or undisturbed, but some snakes need privacy. I know that you can put them in a sterilite tub with the food and leave them alone for them to feed. It seems like the snakes preference on this issue.

Good luck and let us know how you set up your viv.

-Tony

Ocelot said:
Yeah I fed my snake once in the vivarium, but never again.

On the issue of feeding in a tub, do you guys leave the food in the tub or do you "hand" the mice to your snake like with a tweezers or something?

I checked out that aspen there, it looks a bit like shredded paper! Currently I have wood chips that are like little squares. Is aspen attractive looking, do you think?

When it come to feeding there is a lot of way of doing it. You have to read up on it and find out what works for your snake. But I would think to feed at night cause they are "nocturnal" in a dim area. I would feed in a separate container (depending on size of snake,what size??), so the snake couldn't eat substrate. Slicing the backs of the f/t food items helps too. for scenting. I just drop the food item in the container with the snake it. and he pounces on it.
If you haven't seen this, here is a few links to help you out. http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28341
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342

Back