• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

best time to handle young ones

wisconsin

brandon
what time is best to handle young ones........i usually pick them up whenever (day and night) should i only pick them up when they are active??? pick them up at day or night???? please give me the best times (usually) to play with my little buddies :bang:

Being that they are nocturnal, they would be sleeping during the day. I tend to handle my little ones when they are out cruising the tub.

I tend to handle them when they're in their hides - I don't like disturbing their "cruise time." Corns are actually crepescular, but it doesn't seem to matter what time they're supposed to be out - I guess they forgot to read the "Being A Snake Guidebook" because I never see mine :shrugs: If I waited for them to come out, I'd never touch them at all.

I don't think there's any right or wrong answer to this, personally. Some people don't like disturbing their sleep, some people don't like disturbing their "playtime." It's more or less up to you.

adaption

:-offtopic We have had our baby corn snake for a month now,and at first we had a hard time-he was always in his hide or burrowing under the substrate when we attempted handling- but after reading that they don't like their tails touched or the head/just below head area, we have found the snake much more adaptable to handling- we just move the hide and scoop him up underneath, allowing him to crawl about on our hands without actually lifting him up out of the aquarium, and he is calmer this way, and now he comes out of the hide more and doesn't run away--i believe it just takes patience, and when they are babies, their survival depends of their ability to hide. We have handled him both day and night, but now for 48 hr after a feed.

I usually handle my snake in the evening (after 6pm). I am not really sure what I am disrupting but I find that when I return him to his tank after I handle him for a while he then likes to cruise his tank and do some climbing before going back to his hide. That is really the only time I see him out is after I "wake him up".

I don't think there is a "right and wrong" time to handle your snakes. I don't believe that there will be any negative effects when handling one time over another.

I handle my snakes when it is convenient for me. Day, night, evening dawn...when I am awake, and they aren't digesting, if I feel like "playing"...we play. I have not noticed any ill effects because of this treatment, though, granted, I have only had my corn for around 2 months. They still hide whenever they want, and "cruise" whenever they want. They all seem to be very inquisitive and healthy, and none are aggressive, save for the one that was sold to me at a steep discount because of her aggression.

I have yet to find documentation reporting a "consensus" as to when cornsnakes should and shouldn't be handled, except for the 48 digestion requisite.

Back