• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Best way to weigh a snake?

RainbowMary

Right I want to buy some scales to weigh my baby, but I'm not sure what kind would be best, or what the best way to weigh her would be taking into consideration her squirming. Thanks

I've found that putting the snake into a pillow case works best. For a small snake, just set the pillow case containing the snake on the scale. For my larger pythons, I put the snake into a pillow case, and then put both into a big plastic bowl, then put it on the scale. Be sure to weigh your pillow case and/or bowl separately so you can subtract it from the total weight.

Like GillyMonster, I use a regular postal scale. I think I got mine at Office Max.

Kathy

I weigh mine on a digital scale in a plastic colander! I clean the colander by wiping it with a Clorox wipe.

Hello My Name Is Tonya and I'm A Chronic Weigher.......

I truly weigh my snakes too much, LoL.. but it's my way of making sure that my snakes are all on track. So much so, that I got a new digital scale from a friend for christmas.... lol.

A few tips: make sure that you have a digital scale that weighs in grams. I spent my first year weighing in ounces and converting... not a fun extra step. Make sure that it can weigh in the range you want it to.... for example I want to weigh my pinkies and differentiate between the smalls (2 grams) from the large (4-5 grams) right? I also want to weigh my largest snake, who weighs in at 770 grams.

I use a few different sized bowls and always line each with a clean paper towel between snakes. I then use the paper towel to wipe out that snakes water bowl and give them fresh water at the same time.

Good Luck!

-Tonya

For the young'ns, this is how I have done it for years. The picture pretty much is self-explanatory.

110506013-1.jpg

Hi Mary, i brought my scales from Argos, they only cost £12 so you cant go wrong. They also come with a large bowel.

Attachments

• Picture 089.jpg
    Picture 089.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Picture 093.jpg
    Picture 093.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 65
I'm with dj, I bought my scale at Argos. It weighs from 1 gram to 3 kilos, more than enough range for corn snakes I think.

I use my snakes feeding containers to weigh them just before feeding. First i weigh the container, then I weigh the container with snake in, then I subtract the weight of the container from the total weight, and voila! you have your snakes weight!

Best wishes,

Well I don't have much to add...I got my scale from Wal-Mart for $26 CAN!As far as method goes I just put a double layer of paper towel in the container that it came with and if Simon gets squirmmy i just wave my hand in front of him and that buys me enough time to get a steady weight!:)
140.jpg

14heavy.jpg

Don't tell my roommate I'm using the kitchen scale....
(I just pick him up in his hide, it takes him a few minutes to get squrimy)

Back