• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Best Wood to Use for a Viv

tommyhuck

What would be the best wood to use for a viv?

I know pine and cedar won't do but what about a Red Oak Plywood with a formaldehyde-free - soy bean based core?

I've heard a lot of people use MDF but I have a personal grudge against it.

Thanks in advance.

If you were to use a good sealer and seal the whole thing, I don't see how there would be a problem with using anything.

What do you think would be the best sealant? The water sealant I've used on my deck and outdoor furniture seems to be a little strong, even for me. Or would thompsons or equivalent be ok providing it was left for a week or so to dry and air out?

What do you think would be the best sealant? The water sealant I've used on my deck and outdoor furniture seems to be a little strong, even for me. Or would thompsons or equivalent be ok providing it was left for a week or so to dry and air out?

Any laquer that has "DIN71-3" on it. DIN 71-3 means its safe, its what laquer they use on childrens toy etc. So if children put them in their mouth and chew on the toys and nothing, its safe to use in a viv. I did alot of research before selecting the laquer... any DIN 71-3 verified will do just fine.

Make sure to use plenty in good coats. To make sure you havnt missed any cracks. I also used normal wood glue to seal the edges of the viv and fill any imperfections in the wood.

If you want you can see my final result in my DIY thread.

@smiley

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to stop by Lowes tomorrow afternoon and do some looking around.

Thanks everyone.

The most popular choices are melamine board and chip board. The melamine works well if you do not have high humidity requirements, as it is already covered in a layer of plastic, Chipboard is cheaper, but does not look as nice, and needs waterproofing with several layers of varnish. When sealing the viv, make sure you use sealant that does not contain fungicides.

Then there is:
Elm: The wood is resistant to decay when permanently wet.
Oak: This wood is very resistant to insect and fungal attack because of its high tannin content.
Beech: It is is tough and holds up well in the vivarium.

Then there is:
Elm: The wood is resistant to decay when permanently wet.
Oak: This wood is very resistant to insect and fungal attack because of its high tannin content.
Beech: It is is tough and holds up well in the vivarium.

Custom Cabinets

Back