• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Better UTH?

cornsnakegirl

What UTH is better, Repti-Therm or Zilla? I say those brands because its the only two I have to choose from at Big Al's Online Canada. ^^

Thanks!

Ehhhh I'll be keeping a simple set-up as I'm new to this and I prefer UTH's for now. Also, I don't think those websites ship to Canada.

Oh I'm sorry I didn't notice you when from Canada. Well, keep that in mind for latter on. LOL

Why are you asking about better ones anyway??

I just want to know which brand of UTH I mentioned is better than the other because I don't want to get one that won't work well.

I'm in Canada too. You should check out amazon.com as well. They will ship a lot (not all) of stuff to Canada.

I got the medium zoo med uth from them for $21. Vs. the $31 big al wants. Of course, if you buy enough to qualify for free shipping from big al, need to factor that in as well.

Ah, yes, I'm well aware of the thermostat :) I plan on getting the rheostat from Zilla I think was the brand. Thanks for your input! I'll get the Zoo Med UTH then :D

Beware that a rheostat isn't the same as a thermostat.

A rheostat is like a dimmer switch. You can set it up, but it will need regular monitoring and you'll need to turn it up or down manually to maintain the correct temperature.

A thermostat will control the UTH without you intervening. Once you've set it up, it will automatically keep the UTH at the temp that you set.

Yes, I know. If I find that the thermostat is cheaper than the rheostat with shipping added in, then I'll get it. I'm home mostly so I don't mind checking temps. :) I've done lots of research here.

Yes, I know. If I find that the thermostat is cheaper than the rheostat with shipping added in, then I'll get it. I'm home mostly so I don't mind checking temps. :) I've done lots of research here.

The thermostat I linked is about the same price as the rheostat at big Als.

True you have to pay for shipping, but probably only about 10-15 dollars (if you get the uth at amazon too, the cheaper price of the uth will probably almost cover the shipping cost).

Are you going to monitor at night? What about when you are not at home or on vacation? Given the negligible price difference, I'd definitely get the thermostat. But that is just me. :)

Big Als has free shipping and no taxes though, so thats something I'm considering. I am considering the thermostat, dont get me wrong, its just that I am leary of Amazon because I tried to get something from there before and it just wouldn't work. I'd like to get everything from the same website which isnt possible on amazon because everything ships from different places/stores.

I get it! Thermostat > Rheostat. Don't worry, LOL. I'm not some dumb stubborn newb. I've been lurking here for months.

Big Als has free shipping and no taxes though, so thats something I'm considering. I am considering the thermostat, dont get me wrong, its just that I am leary of Amazon because I tried to get something from there before and it just wouldn't work. I'd like to get everything from the same website which isnt possible on amazon because everything ships from different places/stores.

I get it! Thermostat > Rheostat. Don't worry, LOL. I'm not some dumb stubborn newb. I've been lurking here for months.

I'm not trying to imply that you are.

I just don't think you are quite getting what I am saying regarding pricing.

I priced out at amazon.com the medium zoo med uth and the thermostat. After shipping and duties it came out to $66.22 usd.

I also priced out the medium zoo med uth and repti-temp rheostat at big als. It came out to $64.98 usd.

I am saying it is very much worth spending the extra $1.24 to get the thermostat. Of course the shipping to you might be a little different than what it cost to me, but should be negligible.

I order from amazon.com all the the time and have never had any issues. True, some items are just not available to ship to Canada and sometimes the items do not ship from amazon.

However in the case of these 2 items both a ship to canada and directly from amazon

Whatever you decide, have fun with you snake. They are a blast.

Alright, thank you for the information. I got to hold a corn snake for the first time yesterday, and it was really fun. I also picked up a cheap 45g long tank with stand for my future cornsnake that I can't get until April, as my local breeder won't have hatchlings until then. :) Lots of time to gather the supplies!

UPDATE:

Hey guys! So I did a test checkout at amazon for the hydrafarm thermostat, and it will not ship to my location. I double checked that I entered my information correctly. Are there are other websites that will ship that thermostat to me?

Also, I did my own measurements of the tank, and it's a 48g! :D I got it all cleaned up too ^^ It was filthy D:

Googling Hydrofarm heat mats, they're designed to work with seed tray heat mats rather than reptile heat mats.

I'd always try putting the correct equipment together, rather than mix-and-match technologies.

A quick Google (always a good idea...) for "reptile supplies online Canada", shows that Pets and Ponds carry a good range of reptile heating & controlling kit, and they ship to Canada. You might find more for yourself to check that prices are competitive.

http://www.petsandponds.com/en/reptile-supplies/index.html

Last edited:
Even though they are meant for seed tray heat mats, everyone uses them for their reptiles. That is not an issue for me. Pets and ponds has a thermostat that is more expensive than I wanted, but it will have to do I guess since I cannot rely on a rheostat. Thank you

Googling Hydrofarm heat mats, they're designed to work with seed tray heat mats rather than reptile heat mats.

I'd always try putting the correct equipment together, rather than mix-and-match technologies.

A quick Google (always a good idea...) for "reptile supplies online Canada", shows that Pets and Ponds carry a good range of reptile heating & controlling kit, and they ship to Canada. You might find more for yourself to check that prices are competitive.

http://www.petsandponds.com/en/reptile-supplies/index.html

Back