• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Big Boy comes with Big Questions

girthta

:awcrap:Well, some of you may have seen my newest addition (if not, check it out in the Photography section "What do we have here" I think is the thread title). Anyway, it looks like I found a delightful 4 1/2 foot long normal (copper looking) corn rescued from a dingy little cage in a country pet store.

So I wasn't prepared for how BIG he is. He's HUMONGOUS! I bought a 25 gal tank on the spot (largest they had) and a lid but here are my issues:

1) that tank ain't big enough. I feel bad for him all squished in there. Should he just tough it out until Repticon (March 14th for me) or try to do something before? I just got my taxes so money isn't as much of an issue but still, I don't want to spend too much (trying to sell a house then we'll have loads more moolah for modular tanks I can add to)

2) what can I do to give him some leg room if waiting a month is no good?

3) the cats are TOTALLY TRANSFIXED when he moves around. I'm concerned they are going to come through the top of the tank. EEECK!

4) how do I weight this monstrosity?

5) what can I use for a hide for him? I gave him a box I had but it seems too cramped.

Poor guy!!! I suspect he's always been crammed in a tight spot. The petstore said he was traded for a small king snake and the guy kept his habitat for that. They had him in about a 15 gal display :crying: I couldn't leave him there- you understand, right?

He's so SO SWEET- great temperment and I want him to be very happy.

What do you guys with big boys recommend?

1) that tank ain't big enough. I feel bad for him all squished in there. Should he just tough it out until Repticon (March 14th for me) or try to do something before? I just got my taxes so money isn't as much of an issue but still, I don't want to spend too much (trying to sell a house then we'll have loads more moolah for modular tanks I can add to)

You could just ship that big guy up here! :rofl: But if he survived living in a 15G that 25G is an ~improvement~ so likely he thinks his life has already gotten better.

2) what can I do to give him some leg room if waiting a month is no good?

See #1 or handle him a lot!

3) the cats are TOTALLY TRANSFIXED when he moves around. I'm concerned they are going to come through the top of the tank. EEECK!

Make sure that is a STRONG lid on the tank. So far my 20G & 40G lids are surviving having cats perch on them regularly.

4) how do I weight this monstrosity?

My scale goes up to 2 kg, he can't be more than that!

5) what can I use for a hide for him? I gave him a box I had but it seems too cramped.

How about a shoebox? Or a hide intended for BCI?

Poor guy!!! I suspect he's always been crammed in a tight spot. The petstore said he was traded for a small king snake and the guy kept his habitat for that. They had him in about a 15 gal display :crying: I couldn't leave him there- you understand, right?

Oh yes! You're a good person.

Have you thought of making an enclosure for him? It might be cheaper than trying to ship a bigger one to you...You can also try to buy one on kijiji or a similar online classifieds.

You are an awesome person! I think it is wonderful that you took this boy on. He looks downright sweet.

I see no problem with him waiting a month for you to get him a bigger tank, no if your were going to say he had to wait 6mth-1yr that would be different. As a hide just get a larger box, a sturdy cardboard one and cut it to a custom size and then tape it together. Just make sure there is not tape ends sticking up he can get stuck to! That way if you need to make the hide the entire width of one end you can, and a custom door to fit his big size will be easy to cut out as well. Then when you have the new home, you can find a bigger better permanent hide such as the boa constrictor hide that was already mentioned.

I think a month to wait is not a problem. As long as he gets handled and a chance to stretch out a bit that should be okay. Then you can get another corn to go in the one he came out of, lol.

I'd love to see a pic of him at full length!

Cats and the tank. My cats get squirted with a water bottle when they climb on the tanks. Normally I keep my cats out of the snake area when I am not in the room. They have learned it's okay to watch the snakes but not sit on them.

And because I live near you, where did you find this guy? Just curious.

I'd love to see a pic of him at full length!

Normally I keep my cats out of the snake area when I am not in the room.

And because I live near you, where did you find this guy? Just curious.

I will work on the picture thing. He dropped a giant poop on my daughter right after that picture was taken! hahaha

The snakes are in the common area because otherwise I would never see them. Maybe I can convert part of my art room... hrm...and the greatest offending cat just looks at your all hurt as you blare water in her face. And she backtalks but doesn't move. Little turd.

I saw an ad on craigslist and was intrigued. When the guy got in touch with me turns out it was a petstore in Stanley (other side of Mount Holly down Hwy 27). When I got there and saw him, plus the tiny tank he was in I couldn't leave without him.

Are you going to Repticon next month?

Wow, pretty good craigslist score!

Yeah training the cats was no easy task, lol. I lucked out and could give the cats the 3rd bedroom of my house. So when the human is not home they have their own playroom.

Yes I am heading down to the Columbia Repticon, it's not a bad drive at all. The show will be python shopping for me.

Actually, I have some shelves in the art room which would work (not pretty but they'll work) if I can get a front opening door type habitat. I've already worked out getting the two babies set up with a front opening deal but that will be critical for this big guy.

Driving to Columbia is no big at all. I commute from Davidson to Charlotte every day so I practically live in my car anyway. Good luck python hunting!

My favorite part of going to the shows (other than all the eye candy) to get a snake is that you can talk to the breeder and handle the snake before purchase. Temperment is important to me so I like to be able to interact with the snake.

(Corn Rex, lucky you- my next cat will be a Maine Coon)

Oh that would be nice with some front opening cages in a shelf system.

This is where I got the python cage, http://www.reptilebasics.com/reptile-cages/

They have some really nice stuff and they are located here in NC.

I agree with you 100 percent about the best part of shows is getting to talk directly with the breeder and put your hands right on the snake. I like to hold several and wait for one to show that spark and I know I've picked the right one. My 4 year old female, Ziva, crawled into the pocket of my hoodie and I knew she was the one. :roflmao:

Maybe I'll run into you at the show.

Oh jeez... that Cornish Rex is the biggest clown and total little terror. That's him in my avatar, wearing one of his little shirts. Maine Coons are lovely! They have amazing coats.

Back