• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

big plastic storage tub

bball4life

Instead of keeping a baby corn in what I was going to keep it in ( Lee's Herp Haven container), would it be ok to keep the corn in one of those plastic storage tubs? The good thing about them is they come in different sizes and are alot cheaper. The only down fall to that is they dont have any breathing holes in them, how should I work around that?

Plastics tubs are fine to house baby corns in. You can drill small holes in the sides and/or top in order to provide ventilation. Alternatively, you can make holes using a hot soldering iron. It is important to remember to make the holes smaller than the snake. If the snake can squeeze its head through a hole, it can get its entire body through also. What you can do to solve a problem of too large holes (if you do not have a small enough drill bit or just want to take extra precautions against the snake escaping) is to tack (using aquarium sealer/silicon) screen (eg. screen that is used for screened windows) on top of the holes (like patches cut into squares/rectangles that cover the entire row of holes). Another way to ventilate is to cut large(r) holes in the sides or the entire top (rectangular) and then use the window screen cut to size (a little larger) of the holes and tack with the silicon sealer. One more way is to use a firmer screen (metal) that is bendable and holds its shape to construct a screened lid (also found in hardware stores), just make sure the holes in the screen are again smaller than the snake. If you do use silicon, allow it to dry and air out for a few days, so that it no longer smells like silicon, before placing your snake in the container. Hope this helps.

bball4life said:
ok I could try that hopefully I dont make the holes to big the first time. Also how would I go about heating it?

Heat pads/mats/tape will all work. They will not melt the tub, especially because the temperature will be no more than 90 degrees and that is still a little high by my standards. I keep my vivs around 86 degrees on the hot side.

If you use a suturing iron its pretty easy to make smallish holes. If you are worried buy an extra lid and practice. And that thread was just showing you how they place their holes and how they did it. I would still go back and read it cause they explain a lot of your questions :D

Back