• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bitey girl

Twovultures

So how long do you have to handle a snake to make it tame? I ask because my snake is a real biter. This was just the 3rd day handling her (I fed her right afterwards, so I'm not handling her for two days anyway) but she was hissing, biting, and trying to get away from me (she succeeded too, but I managed to chase her into a plastic container from under the terrarium stand).

I really like handling my snake, and the biting doesn't hurt at her size but it's just kind of annoying to have her bite and strike me. How long does this typically last?

How old is the snake? Get some gloves and handle it but be gentle and move slowly with the snake. Sudden movement makes them a bit nervous when they are bitey like that. It will just take patience and a little blood loss.

I realize that I will sound like a knucklehead for this, but... Let her bite! She WILL get over it.
14kjus6.jpg

All the biting they CAN do in the world doesn't cause pain, and the snakes realize that after a few repetitions, when you don't put them down.
2qjwwia.jpg

I go through more "pain" trimming my nails and yanking one that was still connected, than the most angry corn can possibly cause. As scary as it seems when an animal is biting you, with the species we are dealing with, there is really nothing to it. To be frank, if you didn't see most bites, you'd have never even known you were bitten. The feed response bites (like in my photos) are about 10X more intense than defensive strikes.

I am a firm believer that the best thing that can happen to a new snake owner is to get the worst bite your snake can deliver. It's about 10% of a playful cat scratch. Never what folks want to hear, but Let the snakes realize the folly of their ways. :)

Wiggington is a hatchling. After doing some independent research, I saw that it's normal for them to bite, and I guess that it's true that for her I am pretty scary. Thanks for the advice, and I guess I'll be back to picking her up and letting her bite me in a few days after she's digested her mousey.

but what if it coils around you and then eats your fist?

In those cases, you simply have to use firearms. But I am prepared for that, since I already own a pit bull. ;)

Chip said:
In those cases, you simply have to use firearms. But I am prepared for that, since I already own a pit bull.

You may wish to try biting the snake back. Apparently this has worked in python attacks, according to the Kenyan newspapers (which I admit are not the most reliable news source).

Wiggington is a hatchling. After doing some independent research, I saw that it's normal for them to bite, and I guess that it's true that for her I am pretty scary. Thanks for the advice, and I guess I'll be back to picking her up and letting her bite me in a few days after she's digested her mousey.

We're just joshing! (mostly)
Give her 48 hours. By that point (as long as your cage temps are right), she'll be ready for a handling session. I mean it when I say that most of the time, if you didn't see it, you'd never have known an adult corn snake had bitten. Let alone a young un. They are weak jawed, tiny teethed wussies! No kidding, their worst feeding response bites do not hurt, and their defensive strikes are negligible. Hard to get over an animal lunging to bite you, I remember it. But soon, you will find that moment when the most a-holish of behavior still results in you picking them right up and doing what you needed to, and both of you realizes that all the triangle heading and tail rattling in the world is "cute!" Best wishes & keep us updated!

Having been bitten by my largest adult corn snake... I agree. It really isn't too bad. It only hurt when he pulled away, but most snakes will strike and release. Unless it's a feeding response, and still then it doesn't hurt.

Back