• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Black Nose - Scab

SteveAlbert

Turtle: Hi guys, I'm not a corn snake but i'm wondering if you can still help me. I sometimes wish i was a corn snake!!!

Hey guys, i was hoping you folks could lend me a hand with my red tail green rat snake. I know they're so far off but i mean they share the rat snake gene, right? right???

Anyhow when i got this snake it had a black scale on it's nose. Some days it looks black, some days it looked more greenish. I figured i'd wait a few sheds. I visited a vet, not the greatest one though, who said it's nothing to worry about. I had to put the little guy in a different tank today for a few hours just to adjust his real viv. When it was time for turtle to go back to his real home i noticed he had rubbed the black scale off(I can literally see the black scale that fell off on the floor). It looked like a hole between his eyes there with some pink/red wound. After a few hours of freaking out and online research, i peeked back at him (still in his temporary/clean home) i noticed the nose is starting to look better. Looking online i found alot of advice, people mentioning neosporin some people saying to leave it alone.

1. I cannot take him to the vet for another 4 days. PS: The vet is not the most experienced either.

2. I need to return the guy back to his original tank because their setup is quite specific. When would it be relatively safe to do so.

3. Do i need to apply something to it.

Thanks, i appreciate this. If it would help, i will take a picture of it tomorrow.

I would move it now. Not seeing a photo, I can only assume from your description that it's a very minor abrasion. A dab of triple antibiotic can't hurt. Frankly I wouldn't take it to a vet unless that vet was experienced with treating reptiles. If the wound is larger than one scale in size, post a photo and we can give you a better care plan.

RT green rats are typically not at all corn like in temperament. Outside of that, care and treatment of a wound would be pretty similar.

From the pics it doesn't look too bad.
I would do that triple antibiotic just to keep off infection.
Expect it to open and bleed for the next few sheds until it is healed!

Ok

1. so how often do i apply said ointment?
2. Do i need to dilute it?
3. Can you give a few names of ones without painkillers, i live in the UAE, although we do have all of the major brands, some might not be there.

Neosporin. Apply every 48 hours or so (if still shiny with ointment in 48 hours, skip it), it's imperative that there's nothing rough in the enclosure he can rub his nose on until it heals.

Hence my worrying, there isnt anything NOT rough in his cage. I mean the branches, water bowl substrate can all be rough if you want them to. Will keep a close eye on him and remove as much as i can.

I use polysporin triple antibiotic (because that's what I happen to have) but I was told it had to be clear & yes with no analgesic like Alicia mentions. Just dab it on. I see you have paper as a substrate which is good, or paper towel will also do.

Back