• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Black Rats

Daeraelle

Black Rats *NEW PICTURES*

I finally get to take pictures of my black rat snake pair, and my male is in shed. :bang: He's still impressive though. I laid him in the feeding tub with his rat and part of his belly was showing, and he left it that way until he was done eating, lol. My female wasn't wanting to eat, so I offered him one of her mice, and he politely sniffed and refused. I dropped the two rat babies I determined were male in with her and the two mice, and by the time I was ready for work she'd eaten everything. I guess she just wanted me to go away and quit watching her, lol. In the picture she's pretending to have lost her appetite.

female01.png

Now for the male.

Yummm... rat...
male01.png

Belly
male02.png

No mice, thanks.
male03.png

Last edited:
Oh, he's beautiful. They both are, the male is just significantly larger. I'm just glad I was able to buy them before someone else did. Hopefully I'll breed them next year. He was ready this year, one of his thingies stuck out at me after the female first shed when I was putting him from the feeding tub into his tub. I figured he was just ready to go, lol. I wish I had beefed her up and tried to breed this year.

Do you have any progression threads started? I would love to see how this one came from shed to shed. Any idea on a locale? Working with a Missouri local, to produce that 100% Jet black, black rat! (Which yours seems to be doing that well)

NICE pair, lookin forward to a post shed pic :*)...

Here's my het amel female, just laid this morning...
07blackrateggs002.jpg

and Daddy
033105malebr1.jpg

No problem Mike :*)...

Amelia yours look real sweet, you'll have to keep us up to speed with any breeding plans :)

They are '02s produced by Dwight Good I think. I don't know if they have been bred before. I don't know if I'm ready to jump into breeding just yet. I only got my FIRST snake in July. I think next year would be good. I hope they won't be too old then. 6 years is ok for a female right? I don't even know what age breeding should stop, if 6 is getting on up there, I may want to try this year.

That male looks a lot like mine, he's gorgeous.

Another picture of the male filling up his feeding tub completely. I should put the pair together to compare size.

blackratmale01.jpg

Amelia, my female is also from Dwight (amel mom X het amel dad) and is a first time breeder at 6 years old...she dropped 11 in the morning and took a mouse that evening...your female would do great this year, the next or the next :)...l

Dwight had a few different lines, one an almost pure black, another with a real sweet looking amel male...make sure you show us a post shed pic...

He is absolutely beatiful! Now if someone could come up with a black snake with blue eyes like that I'd buy one for sure! Of course it would have to be in the "rat"family so I'd have a good idea of how to care for it.....lol

Nice...

Now there's my favorite rat snake, that's on my lifer list... some day perhaps.
Awesome specimens by the way...!

The male has gone clear and was soaking everything but his face in his water bowl this morning when I peeked in on him. I almost mistook him for the female, lol, I was expecting an in blue snake. His eyes didn't get as cloudy as I would have expected, I could still make out his pupils and he didn't seem to be too blind in his movements. The female, when she was in shed, blind as a bat and ill tempered. The male is SO mellow. He's a lap snake, as long as the dog and cat aren't in view, then he's in stalking and striking mode. I can't tell if he wants to eat them or scare them away. He's so huge he could probably eat my new puppy, no problems, lol. So, I should have those post shed pictures very soon. ;)

Well, it looks like I won't have the chance to breed this year. I looked in on my female black rat this morning, and she ate three days ago but still had a lump, and it had gotten bigger instead of smaller. So HOPING it would disappear before I got home, I went to work and forgot about it until I walked in the door tonight. It's my first regurge... and it was terrible. I had to go vomit three times before I even got her outside. I gave her a bath, cleaned out her tub and put her back in. Gross. That was the SICKEST thing I've ever had to clean. I was thinking about breeding her, but not anymore. I guess we'll see how it goes next year.

Back