• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Black streak

Otter_23

I have a male corn snake that I have had for 9 years. A couple months ago I noticed that he had a black streak on his mouth towards the back. It also seemed that his throat was swollen. He was still active and was eating. Within 2 days the streak was gone and the swelling was gone. I had changed his substrate from dirt to aspen and thought the black streak had just been from the dirt. Well I have taken him out of burmation and noticed a few days ago he has the streak again and this time I took him out and washed his head off and put triple antibiotic on it. The next day I checked him again and he appeared very swollen under his mouth. He has eaten every time I have offered him food. He is very active and doesn't have any discharge coming from his mouth. He did soak in his water dish for awhile and some of his poop appeared green. Otherwise like I said he is very active and was eating etc. My questions is what could be wrong with him? How can I cure him and prevent it from happening again. I have 2 females that I have pulled from burmation with him and they both look fine and are eating. Thanks for your help.
Mark Westberg

Does the streak appear prior to shedding? I would guess with the swollen neck/chin area and soaking that it has something to do with the affects of the shedding cycle. There was a thread at one point talking about this 'thickening' of the chin/neck prior to shedding.

D80

Yep my corns throat looks swollen just like that, but I haven't noticed him blue at all. Should triple antibiotic clear up the black streak on the side of his mouth or is that possibly part of the swollen throat?
Thanks a lot for that link. Made me feel better about him.
Mark Westberg

He shed yesterday the streak is gone and the swelling is gone. Thanks again for the link to explain what was going on with him.

Back