• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Blankets?

Pandora

i know this sounds silly, but is it ok for a day or two to use towels for substrate? i just got my little one yesterday, and had put the expandy dirt stuff in there before i got him(also my adults cage) and it's late in the afternoon and not dry. it's still real moist in both cages. so i took it out(worried about them getting cold). i put down nice soft towels instead until the stuff dries. at the rate it's going it may be a couple of days. i just don't want to stress the little one out.

yeah, the little one did it in it's water dish last nite. so hopefully they can both refrain, for a couple of days!

I do not see any reason not to use towels temporarily. But I'm not sure about the wet dirt stuff. I use Aspen wood chips. It has worked well for me.

it's not exactly dirt. you get it in the pet stores. it's made by eco bark something... it comes in a brick and expands with water.

I have towels in my viv for standard. They sleep in it. They make nice cozy beds :) Ofcource one in the cold, and one in the warm aera :D

i have the expandy...

stuff, too, hehehe, and last night i cleaned out norbert's enclosure and added fresh substrate to his tank. it's damp, but it usually dries rather quickly as long as i leave the day glo lamp on during the day. he was very active last night...i woke up this morning and he was still climbing around and stuff, which suggests he may not really like the dampness. if it was muddy or sopping i would have waited because it could cause blistering and other skin issues, but what i've found with the substrates that need to be placed in water as bricks is...if you wait too long the remaining water stagnates. i had that problem yesterday, i was going to use what i had left over when i prepared my hatchling's enclosure, but i inhaled it and nearly passed out...i was gonna go buy a dry substrate, but didn't wanna waste a brick. i will not use the brick anymore, i don't like it, i get messy preparing it and since i'm a klutz i usually wind up having more substrate on my kitchen floor than in my snake tank :(

i think the towel is a very good idea, especially for a hatchling. i made sure the substrate was dry before i put my hatchling in it, but i thought norbert might enjoy a little more moisture.

yeah, i'm done with the wet brick stuff to. i got up this morning and the little one was inbetween the two towels all snuggled up. and they say only puppies are cute! my older one i don't think likes it as well. she likes to burrow around in the other stuff. oh and the stupid stuff still isn't dry. maybe i'll just toss it. i don't what to go with next. i don't really like the look of the aspen...

I had good luck with Repti-Bark. Some like to bake it to make sure it is insect free. I have gone to aspen now. Cost and performance make it the hands down winner in my tanks. Your mileage my vary.

Back