• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Blizzard Predictor

hoho19

I was using the program "Micks Cornsnake Progeny Predictor" to determine which snake I wanted to get in julyish.

I currently have a male charcoal het bloodred. I was under the impression that if I were to purchase an amel female and mate them (at some point) the offspring would be 100% blizzard.
Maybe I'm off or the program is off but the program tells me that I would recieve 50% het blizzard het bloodred and 50% het blizzard. Now i can understand this completely.

The program however doesn't have a check box for het blizzard so I set it up for het amel het charcoal female X het amel het charcoal male. It gives me the outcome of:
25% het blizzard, 12.5% charcoal, 12.5% amel, 12% het charcoal, 12.5% het amel, 6.25% blizzard etc..

I'm a little confuzzled.
Thanks
Chris

Oh Boy! I don't know where to start! Have you checked out Serp's genetic tutorial? A must read for anyone considering breeding morphs.
http://serpwidgets.com/Genetics/genetics.html

In a crude explanation (sorry I'm not the best at explaining this stuff, but I'll try)...
To be a Blizzard, a hatchling must recieve one gene for Charcoal from each parent, and one gene for Amel from each parent. With a set of two genes for Charcoal, it will be a Charcoal... the same with Amel... so when a hatchling has a "pair" of genes for both traits than it is a Blizzard.

Unless your Charcoal is het Amel, you will never get Blizzards in the first generation, since the Charcoal has no "Amel" gene to give, his hatchlings will never get an "Amel gene" from each parent.

Now in your pretend Amel het Charcoal X het Amel het Charcoal pairing... One parent has a pair of "Amel genes" and one "Charcoal gene" paired with a "normal gene". It will always pass on an Amel gene and pass on the Charcoal gene 50% of the time. The other parent has one Amel gene paired with a normal gene and one Charcoal gene paired with a normal gene. It will pass on Amel 50% of the time and pass on Charcoal 50% of the time. When you breed the hatchlings get half of their genetic make up from both parents. So to get Blizzards, these hatchings would have to be the lucky ones that got a Charcoal gene from each parent and an Amel gene from both parents. Hope that helps... sorry for any of the terminology I may have slaughtered, I'm only half way through with my first cup of coffee.

carol said:
Have you checked out Serp's genetic tutorial? A must read for anyone considering breeding morphs.
http://serpwidgets.com/Genetics/genetics.html

You can also get Serp's book as well (Cornsnake Morph Guide). I continually reference it when trying to figure out genetics. It's great - gives examples of different morphs, explains the genetics (including the ultra allele), and even has practice problems.

~Katie

hoho19 said:
I was using the program "Micks Cornsnake Progeny Predictor" to determine which snake I wanted to get in julyish.

I currently have a male charcoal het bloodred. I was under the impression that if I were to purchase an amel female and mate them (at some point) the offspring would be 100% blizzard.
Maybe I'm off or the program is off but the program tells me that I would recieve 50% het blizzard het bloodred and 50% het blizzard. Now i can understand this completely.

The program however doesn't have a check box for het blizzard so I set it up for het amel het charcoal female X het amel het charcoal male. It gives me the outcome of:
25% het blizzard, 12.5% charcoal, 12.5% amel, 12% het charcoal, 12.5% het amel, 6.25% blizzard etc..

I'm a little confuzzled.
Thanks
Chris

Carol did a good job, but I just wanted to add some things to it.

(Do you all see why I simply loathe these 'het for blizzard', 'het for butter', etc terms?)

Chris,

We'll start at the beginning here. Each snakes is comprised of two sets of genes, with each set coming from one parent. That's simple and easy to understand. I think I see where you're going wrong, so I'll try to address this.

I'm going to use the one snake you have in question right now, which is the Charcoal het bloodred.

I'm going to write this out as this: ch= charcoal, d= bloodred

So, your male has this genetic makeup: chchDd

Others use + and superscripts, but I just find this easier to work with while explaning something.

So, since your male is homozygous for charcoal, it will automatically give the charcoal gene to all of it's offspring. This is the case for all snakes that are homozygous for any particular trait. However, your snake is also heterozygous for bloodred. This means that statistically 50% of the time it will give the bloodred gene, and 50% of the time it will not.

Here is what your male can throw: chD, chd

Now, to your question about mating him to an amelanistic female.

Since the amelanistic female is homozygous for amel and has no known hets, all she can give is one amel gene, represented by (a).

Now, in order to express any trait (except co-doms, but don't worry about that) a snake must posess both copies of that gene. You asked why these offspring from Charcoal het bloodred x amel would not give you any blizzards, this is why.

The possible outcomes from that pairing are this:

1) chDDAa, 2) chDdAa

---or----

1) Normal het charcoal, amel
2) Normal het charcoal, bloodred, amel

The reason is because the amel does not have the charcoal gene present. Blizzard is a double homozygous combo of amelanistic and charcoal. Both of these genes must be expressed in the snake for it to be a blizzard.

I think you might be thinking that charcoal x amel = blizzard, but it does not. Again, it all goes back to the fact that each parent can only give one half of it's genetic makeup to it's offspring. For example, the charcoal male cannot give two copies of charcoal to it's offspring, but only 1.

If you want blizzards, you're plum out of luck for the F1 generation. However, if you found an amel and paired your charcoal male with her and kept the babies, you'd have a good range of possibilites.

Normal het charcoal, amel x Normal het charcoal amel =

3/16 charcoals
3/16 amels
1/16 blizzards

You'd also have normals het amel, normals het charcoal, and normals het 'blizzard' (ie charcoal and amel).

Some of the charcoals would be het amel and some of the amels would be het charcoal.

In the future when you're trying to do a cross, it's best to know the makeup of each morph so you're not looking for 'het blizzard', because that's technically incorrect. There was a sizeable debate on this, but knowing that het blizzard really means het charcoal and amel will help you out a lot.

Here is a link to my genetics FAQ that will hopefully be done in a week or two, and as Carol said you should also check out Chuck's genetics tutorial. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or post in the thread.

Genetics FAQ

Bah, *curses no edit*

Please replace this:

1) chDDAa, 2) chDdAa

--should read as---

1) CHchDDAa, 2) CHchDdAa

Thanks guys!
I think i'm going to get the Cornsnake Morph Guide.
I feel ashamed. I was a premed in college and I guess the horrors of 2 years of work and then ending up being a Comp Sci major forced me to block genetics from my memory. I totally forgot that they only give 1 "side" of the gene to progeny. That would help my retardedness. I think what was confusing me was the terminology... So many morphs...

Thanks all!

Back