• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Blizzard, snow or ghost??

disturbedstn

Ok I'm still a noob and I'm pretty clueless to genetics unless its human...anyways what exactly is the difference between ghosts blizzards and snows? I'm wanting to buy a solid white corn with a stripe pattern of lav. Most every breeder site I go to has them but they are all under a different name like on one page it will be called a blizzard then the next it's a ghost and the next a striped snow. Aaaahhh I'm going crazy! :crazy02:

It's all in the genetics

Snow = Homo Amel and Anery A
Blizzard = Homo Amel and Charcoal (Anery B)
Ghost = Homo Anery A and Hypo A

the snow is lacking both red and black pigments, but will have a flesh color to lime green color depicting where the saddles will be.

Snows:

Snowie_800x600.jpg

Cotton_800x600.jpg

The blizzard is also lacking the red and black pigments, but will show a very faint yellow pattern or no pattern at all.

FemaleBlizzard_6-9-05_800x600.jpg

And the Ghost is a little different. Beings they are anery A, they will show the black and white of the anery a, but it will be reduced because of the melanin reduction caused by the Hypo A Gene.

Ghost-ish_resize.jpg

(The above picture is light for a ghost and was produced by crossing a Coral snow with a Hypo het for Anery A and Charcoal)

Last edited:
that one was a suprise. The snow that he came from is the first one in that post. I bred him to a normal 2 years in a row and this year, i bred 2 of his offspring together, and then him to a hypo, and ended up with this Ghosts, and a few hypo's from the other clutches. So, the snow is definately carrying the hypo gene.

disturbedstn said:
I'm wanting to buy a solid white corn with a stripe pattern of lav.
It sounds like what you're looking for is a combination of morphs...a white corn would be either a snow or a blizzard. The stripe pattern is caused by another gene and if you want to see the pattern, you should choose the snow (anery A and amel) over the blizzard (anery B and amel) as blizzards tend to not show their pattern as well. As to whether the stripe will be lav (lavender?) in color may not be possible...unless you're perhaps thinking of a lavender stripe (lavender morph plus stripe morph). You will get the lav stripe, but probably won't get the white.

I would recommend that you search both snow stripes and lavender stripes in the Photo Gallery to see if you can determine exactly what morph(s) you're looking for.

Just remembered you mentioned ghosts...add ghost stripes to your search. And remember, many morphs change a bit in appearance as the snake reaches maturity. And to help your search, this is a photo of a ghost stripe hatchling. It's colors would probably be darker as an adult.

Last edited:
I was looking at a breeder site I wish I knew which one now...but anyways I found a blizzard corn with a lavender stripe must have been a morph it had no other pattern other than the stripe wish I could find it now. I also was curious is it true that morphs may not be as healthy compared to normal corns? I've read somewhere that their immune system and genetics may be weaker due to extensive breeding.

Hi there,

Do you mean the stripe was a lavender in colour or the lavender morph? Could be two totally different things... :santa:

Blizzards don't show their patterns well, if at all, if you could clearly see a stripe, then it was most likely not a blizzard...despite the breeders labelling...

I am not sure about the rarer/selectively bred morphs being less healthy than normal corns...there are not too many normal corn commercially available that aren't het for some or other morph...

I haven't heard of particular morphs being more prone to illness, disease or eating problems though...but I suppose it is possible...lol

Back