• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

blood on head....

snake guy

It's never to late
Saturday is Mitch's feeding day but I was going to a friends house and I was in a hurry. So I just droped the mouse in and took off. I told my sister to make sure everything went well.I called her about a hour later and she said every thing went good. I came back a day later so I went to go check on him he had a lump where the mouse was.But when I looked on his head there was what looked like blood coming out of a scale about a half inch from his eye.Right then I went and got a wet Q-tip and being careful i gently whiped the bleeding spot. What should I do (help). :eek1: :cry:

I'm not yet knowledgeable enough to tell you what to do now, but from now on you should probably pre-kill the mice (I'm assuming you fed it live).
Until someone more helpful comes along . . .

yes they are live mice.Next feeding is Saturday. hopefully someone will help by then.how do I do that with out getting blood everywhere.what just break there necks ha-ha but really how do i. :smash: :eats02: :puke01:

Mooresnake is right on the money. You should not leave a snake when feeding. And you did. The best bet is to feed f/t mice but pre-kill if you have too. I'll make you do your homework and find the information yourself. Your snake said that would be a good lesson for you. Do a search.
Now what the topic???

your right but where would I search for the info.What can't cheat on the test. :bowdown: I give up tell me.

HA-Ha thats so funny KID uh. Fine then be like that your so mean keeping a TEEN in suspense. tell me now please. Now where do you see a TEEN saying please uh. :-offtopic

What thanks for nothing whatever come on tell me.If my snake dies because of you I'm going to write you a bad letter. :argue: :blowup:

Excellent. Now to keep him from being injured again, I'd go to f/t or prekilled. I've not had a snake refuse well warmed f/t yet.

I have to kill a couple mice every week, no pre-killed frozen in Taiwan! Here's how: mouse goes into plastic bag, bag quickly rolled around it (so you can see where it's head is) then whack head-end of bag against a hard horizontal surface e.g. table. Don't be a total wuss about it but don't try and smack a hole through your table either. I've gotten pretty efficient about it and the mouse is only alive in the bag for about 5 seconds.

There are other methods you can do a search on, like cervical dislocation and mini gas chambers. Much as I need to kill the mice I want to prevent suffering as much as possible, and I'm not sure enough about the cervical dislocation enough to want to experiment on some poor rodent. I'm sure someone will be along soon to rant about how inhumane and horrific the bag-and-whack is, but in my experience the mouse literally does not know what hit it.

As to the bite on your snake's head, you are very lucky the mouse didn't do more damage and I trust you won't be leaving a live mouse in with your snake again. You can dab neosporin on the wound. Remember live mice are going to fight for survival, if a giant monster was coiling around me I'm pretty sure I'd resort to biting it too.

ickle_moose said:
As to the bite on your snake's head, you are very lucky the mouse didn't do more damage and I trust you won't be leaving a live mouse in with your snake again. You can dab neosporin on the wound. Remember live mice are going to fight for survival, if a giant monster was coiling around me I'm pretty sure I'd resort to biting it too.

I agree, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure there have been cases of live mice actually killing snakes. If the snake doesn't feed straight away the mouse will attack the snake and seriously injure or even kill it.

If you do feed live again, always supervise the feeding.

snake guy said:
What thanks for nothing whatever come on tell me.If my snake dies because of you I'm going to write you a bad letter. :argue: :blowup:

You should write yourself a bad letter. I can't imagine that a fifteen year old is so busy that they can't monitor their one and only snake at feeding time, especially when a live mouse is being offered. Why didn't you just wait and feed the snake at another time? Get your priorities straight, young man. And do your own homework... :nope:

Plissken said:
I agree, correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure there have been cases of live mice actually killing snakes. If the snake doesn't feed straight away the mouse will attack the snake and seriously injure or even kill it.
Yes, I've heard a case where a classroom pet was fed a live mouse right before the weekend, and the happy little kids came back in on Monday to find a dead, half-eaten kingsnake accompanied by a very triumphant mouse :eek1:

And to kill mice I just take them outside and throw them by their tail straight into the cement, about as hard as I can. :smash:

A breeder I work with has a 4 year old ball python who was mauled by a rat during a feeding overnight. For whatever reason the former owner did not euthanize the animal when it was injured; my boss bought the animal ata great discount due to it's condition.

I eats around every 2-3 months and maintains a great size and disposition in spite of the massive almost 9mm wound scars it bears over most of its' body.

It frightened me so bad to look at it that I justdon't even think of leaving during a feeding, let alone leave anything with eyes open in the same enclosure as one of my animals overnight.

Back