• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bloodred laying an egg...push it out, push it out, way out!

SnakeNutt

This past Saturday morning, my bloodred female began laying her clutch of eggs. After a couple of hours, I could count 12 eggs from the bottom of her nesting box, and I thought she was through. So, I picked her up to make sure she'd laid them all, but I found that she still had two to go. So, I put her back down in the nesting box -- she slithered most of the way in and then decided to give my husband and me a peep show. My husband couldn't resist grabbing his camera. Here comes egg #13.

Attachments

• Pushing1X.jpg
    Pushing1X.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 190
  • Pushing2x.jpg
    Pushing2x.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 191
  • Pushing3x.jpg
    Pushing3x.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 191
  • Pushing4x.jpg
    Pushing4x.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 190
  • PushingDone5x.jpg
    PushingDone5x.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 191
There. Are you happy now? Leave me alone!

Last shot, as she slid back into privacy to lay her last egg.

Attachments

• PushingSoThere!.jpg
    PushingSoThere!.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 189
Nesting box does have a cover!

Oh, just for newbies, I do keep a cover on the nesting boxes, one with a round hole in the middle for the female to enter and exit as she wishes. Obviously, we took these shots with the cover off. I replaced it for her last big push (egg #14).

Robertk said:
Nice pics,it`s amazing how the scales seperate as the skin streches.Congrats on the eggs.

I have a bunch of friends who have given birth and a few who have had torn perineums and yes I know snakes don't have a perineum but can they tear whilst pushing out eggs? My female looked 100% back to normal (nice, clean, closed vent) right after laying and you'd never know what she'd been through (½ her body weight was eggs!).

DdotSpot said:
Nice Pics....What kind of babies are you expecting from this clutch?

Except for normals, whatever hatches from this clutch will be a complete surprise to me. I bought the female at a local reptile store two years ago, and they had no knowledge of possible hets. I bred her this spring to my odd ghost? motley male (photo attached), which Joe Pierce and I have been discussing (as to what type of hypo he is). Assuming she's not carrying any hets, I'm expecting babies that are normals, het for diffuse (bloodred), hypo (of some sort or another -- probably just Hypo A, but maybe ultramel? or lava?), anery and motley. I just bred the same ghost? male to another bloodred, known to be het for Hypo A (photo also below), and I've bred him to an amel (to test out the ultra possibility). If neither of those two females produce hypos or ultramels, I'll either be looking for a lava and a sunkissed female to purchase, or I'll be trying to sweet-talk Joe into test-breeding him for me next spring (sending a big grin your way, Joe!).

I'll give an update on this clutch in about 72 days (hopefully!).

Liz

Attachments

• Pastel1b.jpg
    Pastel1b.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 158
  • hbl02f04.jpg
    hbl02f04.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 158
nice

looks like a regular nice pastel ghost motley 2 me why dont you send a picture :-offtopic of it to Walter Smith and Don sodeberg, and see what they think as I think they may have some that look alike

Wowsers...

that looks painful! :eek:

That is awesome - congrats on all of them, and thanks for posting the pics. Of all the snakes bred, we've never actually stumbled across any of them laying, just the aftermath. That's great that you were able to catch it in person. Btw, Mom is a beautiful color :D .

Back