• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bloodred question

srsb

Hi! I recently discovered this site and I love it!

I am interested in getting a bloodred baby for my next corn snake. In looking around the site, I noticed a few terms that I am hoping someone can clarify for me.

What is "diffusion" and how is it important in the way a bloodred baby will turn out?

What about banding? Someone mentioned that a bloodred baby looked good because it had no banding.

Basically, what I would like to know is what to look for in a baby to try to predict which one will turn out the deepest red with the least pattern as an adult. I know there are no guarantees, but what would you look for?

Thanks for any opinions!
sonja

Diffusion is important in the look of all bloodreds/Carrier's of the diffused gene. Its the term used to describe how the pattern slowly fades away at the sides. Usually it will also make the saddles disappear and leave only the borders slightly visable (probably why someone mentioned banding).

You need to remember that bloodred refers to the colour as much as the fading of the pattern. Diffusion is mostly used to describe non normal coloured animals homo for bloodred/diffusion. ie lavender diffused or caramel diffused.

srsb said:
Hi! I recently discovered this site and I love it!

I am interested in getting a bloodred baby for my next corn snake. In looking around the site, I noticed a few terms that I am hoping someone can clarify for me.

What is "diffusion" and how is it important in the way a bloodred baby will turn out?

What about banding? Someone mentioned that a bloodred baby looked good because it had no banding.

Basically, what I would like to know is what to look for in a baby to try to predict which one will turn out the deepest red with the least pattern as an adult. I know there are no guarantees, but what would you look for?

Thanks for any opinions!
sonja
Welcome. :)

Confusingly, the words "diffusion" and "bloodred" are used in different ways by different people.

"Diffusion/Diffused" refers to the mutant corn gene that obliterates pattern, and it also refers to the actual effect of the gene. So a person might say: "That's some of the best diffusion I've seen on a diffused snake."

"Bloodred/Blood Red/Blood" is an alternate name for the gene. It is also the name of a selectively bred type of corn that fully exhibits the bloodred/diffused gene, and is a deep patternless (or nearly patternless) red. But sometimes you'll see "bloodred" used in morph combos that aren't even red, such as ghost-blood or caramel-blood. So a person might say: "I want a homozygous bloodred corn that is true to the classic bloodred description."

I think your best bet for finding a classic, dark red, patternless bloodred would be to find one where you could confirm that the parents were of the same description. Some would say that gray-heads and "skull" head pattern are good indicators. You may also want to find one that already has great diffusion on its sides (nearly patternless) and dark red color along its back. If you find a hatchling blood with all of these characteristics, there's a good chance that he'll end up being the spectacular blood you're seeking. :)

Forgot about banding:

Banding is when the saddles on the back extend down each side, joining with one or both of the rows of side blotches. In the most extreme banding, the saddles extend to the belly on each side. It gives the saddles a wrap-around look (like a banded kingsnake). Some have expressed the opinion that bloods with banding do not diffuse out (i.e. become as patternless) as much as non-banded bloods. I think that this may be true. I can say that for my own bloods, banded saddling seems to take longer to diffuse out. Whether it will prevent full diffusion remains to be seen. You should keep in mind that not all bloods will become completely patternless and that it can take up to five years for those that do.

Hello and welcome. I am gonna jump in here and ask a question or state a fact, whichever.

Roy Munson said:
But sometimes you'll see "bloodred" used in morph combos that aren't even red, such as ghost-blood or caramel-blood.

Roy, so when something like a ghost-blood comes along, it's not actually a ghost corn that has blood parentage, but it's called a ghost-blood because of the lack of pattern?

Green Bean said:
Roy, so when something like a ghost-blood comes along, it's not actually a ghost corn that has blood parentage, but it's called a ghost-blood because of the lack of pattern?

No, a ghost-blood is a corn that displays three mutant genes: hypo, anery, and diffused. A caramel-blood displays two: caramel and diffused. For a combo to have "blood" in its name, it must be homozygous (fully displaying) the diffused gene.

Now see, this is what happens when you all of a sudden try to change the established name of a morph that's been around for 15 years.

Onelivetolive---- I am in Damascus. A bit south of Frederick. How about you?

Thanks to everyone for their replies! I does give me an idea what to look for, but it is confusing, too! I have 3 other corn snakes and I got them simply based on liking their looks. But now that I have been learning more, and checking out pictures, I am really taken with the bloodreds.

I won't be breeding him/her, just looking for a pet. It will be fun to have something to look for at shows this summer.

I live in perry hall area, a little northwest of Baltimore. The reason I had asked was because I have a hatchling miami bloodred that is a pretty good candidate for becoming a beautiful adult. I will try to just take some pictures for you.

That would be great! Do you have the parents, too?

Oh, and what is "miami bloodred" as compared to "bloodred"?

Thanks!

Miami phase means that a snake is grey or very light tan with deep red to deep orange saddles... but many 'bloodreds' are grey with red saddles and a almost solid grey head (like a skull) as a hatchling, which has nothing to do with being a miami phase IMO.

Back