• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bloodred Variations

Skotos

Searching For Truth
As I look at various photographs across the web I find that some bloodreds appear almost orange as adults while others are a deep crimson. Am I correct in understanding that the color is selectively bred with the diffused gene? I am looking to get a bloodred for my wife soon but she likes the bloodreds that are a deep crimson and hates the orange ones. Just wondering if there is a way to tell which bloodred hatchlings will turn out to be deep red as adults. Any suggestions?

sounds like you want an old school blood. a nice solid reddish snake. I am pretty sure there are people here who still breed them. go to the classified section to corn snakes wanted. post an ad there for an old school blood. if some one has any to sell they might come to you. or go to any herp shows around your area (hopefully around you). and talk to the breeders at the show. but keep in mind that not everyone is the breeder. some are wholesalers and they might not know the exact lineage of the animal.

Guess I'll have to plug my creations myself . . .

Here's my male/female breeders (originally from Kathy Love):
BR001m.jpg

BR003f.jpg

Here's some of their offspring I've held back:
BR007f.jpg

BR010m.jpg

BR012f.jpg

You can PM if they look like what you're looking for. The female above just shed today, so hopefully I'll have fertile eggs in about a week and a half. Of course they need to incubate for another 60-ish days after that.

:)
D80

There are quite a few breeders that have and breed the deep red bloods, some exclusively. Vinman only breeds the "old school" bloodreds and he is absolutely fantastic to deal with. Send him an e-mail, PM or even give him a call as he lists his phone number under his avatar.

Yup,

I too prefer the 'old school' type Bloodred cultivar.

Here is an example of our breeding male (who has just mated one of our Granite females).

granitedarkxbloodredtcldl9.jpg

The Bloodred can be quite variable & some examples are better than others. I find that the Hypo Bloodred present with a more orange appearance on occasion.

Also, it depends if the line has been introduced to an unrelated individual, when often the original deep red can take some time to develop in the hatchling.

Lex

D80

I can vouch for Brent's bloods. I have one of his hold backs. Dealing with Brent is very easy on you. He is good guy. His snakes come with a detail feeding and shed records for you as well. Top notch shipping too. I only have good things to say about Him.

I've got one of V-man's bloods!

Attachments

• 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 257a.JPG
    257a.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 175
Wow! Thanks for all the quick responses. I woke up this morning expected no response at all. What a pleasant surprise! This being my first thread I was not sure of the response I would get.

sounds like you want an old school blood. a nice solid reddish snake.

Yes! That's exactly it. Know I know what to ask for. Thanks Jeff.

Here is one the way they should look!
attachment.php

Stephen, that is the perfect example of what we are looking for. The first images of bloodreds we saw were on Don Soderberg's site. Those are the kind we fell in love with. Is the one in the photo yours?

Those are some absolutely gorgeous snakes but I think my wife will find them too orange. I will have her take a look at your pics and see what she says. She prefers them to have absolutely no orange at all as adults. Any chance that your hatchlings will have that potential?

There are quite a few breeders that have and breed the deep red bloods, some exclusively. Vinman only breeds the "old school" bloodreds and he is absolutely fantastic to deal with. Send him an e-mail, PM or even give him a call as he lists his phone number under his avatar.

I'll look around for pics of what he has and see if they are what we're looking for. If so, I'll contact him. Do you have any pics of his bloods offhand?

Thanks for all the help everyone. Keep me updated on those who breed the "old school" bloods and any other information I might find useful. Thanks so much for the help so far!

Peace,

Scott

Be aware that they develop that color with age. Young snakes won't be that deep in color.

Those are some absolutely gorgeous snakes but I think my wife will find them too orange. I will have her take a look at your pics and see what she says. She prefers them to have absolutely no orange at all as adults. Any chance that your hatchlings will have that potential?
They're pretty red. I'll admit, they're not bloodclot red, but they are not also not as "orange" as they may come off in those pictures. Your wife also needs to realize that the deepest red coloration develops over time. The two snakes that are in the blue water dishes are not even yearlings yet, and are displaying a great amount of red.

I think one thing that's been prevalent in past discussions is that the old, old school bloodreds are extremely difficult to find. The dark maroon blood clot looking snake like Stephen shared. I agree with Susan that Vinman also has some great examples of older school bloods.

Here's something to think about though. I've read a few threads recently about wild caught snakes being so dark (even just your average "normal"), but when bred in captivity, those same dark snakes produce brighter hatchlings. I think one component to the darkest of snakes (whether Normal or Bloodred or Anery) is them getting a suntan while in the great outdoors. :shrugs: Are we going to see a deeper darker bloodclot bloodred in captivity?

As for picking a hatchling that will become more red than orange. From the pictures I have seen of my hatchlings they turn out red. I tend to hold back ones with more diffusing on the sides as well as darker saddles and grayer heads. I also tend to hold back the ones that show the greater amount of red from the beginning. So far, I haven't been disappointed . . . and I <3 bloodreds!!

D80

PS. Here's some orange-er bloodreds that I kept back from last year that are from a different pairing. They are also het for Hypo which I think influences their coloration a bit:
BR015m.jpg

BR018f.jpg

Lastly, check out my banner/logo below in my sig. The bloodred on the right is the same adult female pictured above at about 2 years old. :shrugs:

D80

Here's another example of a deep red bloodred. This girl took three years to develop this color and for a while I thought she wasn't going to get there. I bred her to a super dark red fire this year (she's het for amel), so I am curious to see how dark the progeny will get.

Attachments

• Apr08_0074 Rubicon & Wild Cherry.jpg
    Apr08_0074 Rubicon & Wild Cherry.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Apr08_0077 Rubicon & Wild Cherry.jpg
    Apr08_0077 Rubicon & Wild Cherry.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 94
Here's another example of a deep red bloodred. This girl took three years to develop this color and for a while I thought she wasn't going to get there. I bred her to a super dark red fire this year (she's het for amel), so I am curious to see how dark the progeny will get.

I love how dark Cherry is! Almost marooney:)

Wow! She is one beautiful snake! If you don't mind my asking, where did you get her from?

Back