• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bloodreds

DrGraeme

Chiropractor
I have been very interested in getting a Bloodred to add to my Okeetee and Calking.
I have been told though, by the breeder I got my Okeetee from that Bloodreds very seldom have that great complete red colour and usually end up quite "dirty" and unattractive. Furthermore Bloodreds are very different when hatchling compared to adult colours.

Any advice on weather Bloodreds live up to their reputation?

As an aside... If I ever do decide to possibly breed the Okeetee and Bloodred, any idea on what the outcomes might look like?

Thanks for the time guys.

Okeetee's X Bloodreds were done by Kathy Love at one time several years ago cornutopia.com

As I recall she said the diffusion took the borders away from the resulting progeny, kind of counter to what she was hoping to achieve...

Bloodreds are diffused corns selectively bred to look bright red, borderless or patternless, and some times there are other genetics in play to produce the really pretty examples. :*)

I don't know about "dirty" and unattractive.... but frequently they end up a sort of brick, or burnt orange color rather than a *true* red. They're still beautiful and I tend to prize level of diffusion over color... but that's because I prefer gray snakes. :p

this is my Keys Bloodred I think he is really a nice looking snake. I really like his coloring and diffused sides.

IMG_5279.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys, appreciated.
Really stricking bright red is I guess the ultimate show goal, but the colour variation/amount of darkness is what makes each unique.
@Hypnocotpus.... good advice.
@BooBoo18... very pretty, I take it he's still very young so the colours haven't matured yet. Keen to see him in a year or two.

Yep he is a 2011 hatchling so still very young. I can't wait to see how he will turn out!

I plan on breeding a Pied bloodred X a Hypo Okeetee het amel. Hoping the offspring crosses from that breeding in the future will turn out good.

Back