• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

bloody defrosted mouse!

mazzy

Hi,

I searched for an answer to this and couldn't find anything. I'm sorry if it's a repeat, or just a dumb question.

I'm defrosting a fuzzy for my snake - the mouse is in a ziploc submerged in a cup of warm water. It's mostly defrosted and the mouse is covered in blood, which it wasn't when I took it out of the bag, still frozen. There must be some kind of abrasion or something. This has never happened to me before and the mice from this source are usually very high quality. Should I ditch this mouse and try a new one? Does the blood not matter? I know people brain mice sometimes but this is unintentional. Does it mean there's something wrong with the mouse? Eek.

Thanks!

You may just have an exceptionally 'juicy' one this time around. I have had this happen before. Could be too much moisture inside the bag as well. Could also be that it got warmed a bit too much. I personally wouldn't worry about as long as your snake eats! If your snake is a regular eater with no difficulties and refuses it, then maybe there's something to the mouse that it didn't quite like.

D80

Drizzt80 said:
You may just have an exceptionally 'juicy' one this time around. I have had this happen before. Could be too much moisture inside the bag as well. Could also be that it got warmed a bit too much. I personally wouldn't worry about as long as your snake eats! If your snake is a regular eater with no difficulties and refuses it, then maybe there's something to the mouse that it didn't quite like.

D80

thanks for replying. I checked out the other mice in my bag and one of them had a couple bloody spots - by an eye and by the tail. By that point the defrosted one was entire bright red from blood and since I'm not sure what the deal is and I don't feel like having a bloody messy snake on my hands (though she'd probably enjoy it) I went for the remaining non-damaged mouse. I'd never had this happen before and it was odd.

Depending on how they're killed they sometimes bleed from the nose and mouth when you defrost them. This happened with my home-bred, killed, frozen and defrosted mice and also happens with the ones I buy in a 100 bag.

Back