• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bloody f/t mice?

Bright Scale

Long story short, my ball python had a growth spurt and is getting a shipment of rats in soon. But it won't arrive until next week (Paypal check processing), so I thawed out one last round of mice to feed him tonight. But when I got home after class, there was blood all over the kleenex I left the mice on on the counter. One in particular just had a gusher of a nosebleed, it soaked a patch about as wide as a quarter. Another looks like it may have bled very very slightly from its side.

I have never had thawed feeders do this. They are probably about to the end of their usable shelf (freezer) life, I got them mid-August. Is this a sign that I shouldn't use them? Have they gone bad on the inside? They don't stink any worse than normal, but that may not mean anything.

Help! I don't want my baby to go hungry if I can help it, but I'd rather have him use some of those legendary ball python fasting skills than feed him something that'll make him sick. :shrugs:

I have had this happen a couple of times.

Always thought it was due to a trauma at death and the blood frozen inside the nose.

So I have always just fed them to my snakes. If fact when I had my royals they actually took the mouse quicker. Meaning I had to do less of what I call the zombie dance.

taazyb said:
Meaning I had to do less of what I call the zombie dance.

That's the best description of it I've ever heard. :rofl:

I don't know what trauma they could have had, I believe my rodent source just gasses theirs. But if it won't hurt Rorschach, I'll go ahead and let him chow down tonight. Thanks!

Most of my f/t mice bleed when they are thawed... Treasure loves when it happens.. snaps em up before they hit the container bottom (or bathtub bottom if hes eating in there). I guess people can do this if they've been frozen and re-thawed too hehe (yes I got a funny look when I asked Dad that.. hes the county coroner hehe) Has to do with the mice being frozen quickly.. the blood crystallizes and slices the veins / arteries.. then when its defrosted it leaks out =) Kinda like the beer left in the freezer analogy... the bottle breaks right? So do the veins when they are full of expanded crystallized blood =)

This very frequently happens with rodents that have been vacuum sealed. Don't know if yours were or not.

Q

bright scale yep i think it is pretty accurate.

Oh the hours I have spent do that to get royals to eat.

That why I love my corns so much.

throw the defrosted mouse in and chop its gone. :)

Back