• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Box Turtles

Camby

He will join us or die
These guys hatched a few weeks ago, just sharing. Dad is the really orange one in the pic of two. I don't name reptiles, but my son named him Batman. Mom (wonderwoman) is the yellow girl in her covered area.

dc

Attachments

• bb1.jpg
    bb1.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 53
  • bb2.jpg
    bb2.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 53
  • bb4.jpg
    bb4.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 53
  • batman.jpg
    batman.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 53
  • fem_box.jpg
    fem_box.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 53
Nice Daryl, Eastern's right?

Correct, I have an outdoor enclosure with 1.3 adults and 1.0 teenager. I don't really watch for them to lay, but I saw this female and another laying one night on the way into the reptile building so I harvested and hatched.

dc

Those are awesome adults. Nice bright colors. The three toed boxies we get around here rarely have that much color, especially on the carapace.

I absolutely love 'em, thanks for sharing. A buddy of mine caught a baby albino a couple of years back. If that had been me, I would have a ROOM of box turtles now!

Congratulations!! You _should_ make an attempt to breed, since you've been so successful. It is so important to take pressure off wild-caught adults. I love box turtles so much...

Congratulations!! You _should_ make an attempt to breed, since you've been so successful. It is so important to take pressure off wild-caught adults. I love box turtles so much...

I agree, I rarely see wc box turtles much anymore. All of my adults were taken from the wild, but all have some sort of "special need". One can't close the front of her shell to defend it's self from a frontal attack, another has a severly altered shell, it appears to have been hit by a car and very oblonged shape and she also only has 3 legs, 2 back and 1 front. She is affectionately named "Peg" for her peg leg.

I have only caught them laying 4-5 times but so far I have succesfully hatched all of them. They're cute little buggers.

dc

dc

Those are awesome adults. Nice bright colors. The three toed boxies we get around here rarely have that much color, especially on the carapace.

Thanks, that male is really bright looking. The teenager male is just as bright. Due to his color, he was taken from the wild and doesn't have any special needs. They are definitely the lookers in the crowd.

I absolutely love 'em, thanks for sharing. A buddy of mine caught a baby albino a couple of years back. If that had been me, I would have a ROOM of box turtles now!

Yeah I remember that one. I wish you did have it, we would have to work something out to get some of those, lol. Anytime you want any cb babies, let me know and I'll get you a pair. BTW, my daughter found 3 babies still in their nest in Burnsville two years ago. It was July 4th weekend and was on the sunny side of one of the mountain faces where it recieved full sunshine from about 1:00 til sunset.

thanks
dc

My all time favorite reptile ever. I see a few every year, and they always mnake remember how much I love reptiles :)

I actually have a box turtle that was hit by a car back in july. Crushed his shell up pretty bad and he lost a few pieces. I ended up putting fiberglass, like you use on boat hulls, to cover the open wound and he seems to be fine. Hes very active and eats like a horse. I doubt he will ever be able to be released, but at least he should live. It just amazes me how resilient they can be. I guess ive acquired a new pet.

I actually have a box turtle that was hit by a car back in july. Crushed his shell up pretty bad and he lost a few pieces. I ended up putting fiberglass, like you use on boat hulls, to cover the open wound and he seems to be fine. Hes very active and eats like a horse. I doubt he will ever be able to be released, but at least he should live. It just amazes me how resilient they can be. I guess ive acquired a new pet.

They utilize bondo to repair sea turtles or at least they used too. They are very resilient, I hate seeing them on the road.

Keep the little guy and maybe build him an outdoor enclosure, mine love it. I feed them left over food from dinner and they get sandwich meats that are about to spoil and such. Heck, they even eat the shells of hatched corns. One of their favorites is small fish. We own a pond so sometimes we will catch some of the smaller bream and some of the red shiners and cut them into pieces for the turtles. They love them

dc

I thought about bondo but i decided on the fiberglass. It's not the best way to fix a damaged shell but its all i could do. I just fed the little guy and he ate like a champ.

Ill keep that in mind about the diet. All he will eat so far is nightcrawlers. no fruit at all. i guess he needs all the protein he can get.

I thought about bondo but i decided on the fiberglass. It's not the best way to fix a damaged shell but its all i could do. I just fed the little guy and he ate like a champ.

Ill keep that in mind about the diet. All he will eat so far is nightcrawlers. no fruit at all. i guess he needs all the protein he can get.

If he will eat it, another one is cooked hamburger meat or simply canned dog food. I don't like the dog food much because it really isn't high protein, but they do seem to like it here.

Good luck with him

dc

Back