• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Braining a mouse?

daneale777

I'm sorry to bother you guys with this, but I searched and searched and can't find it anywhere.
Can someone please tell me how to brain a mouse?
My 4-5 month old baby (very tiny) amel has refused to eat for over a month. I have tried many other techniques; all but braining or feeding live, basically.
Any help would be very very much appriciated by me and my baby Pixie girl!!

(The attached pic is from a couple months ago, but she is basically the same tiny size, still:cry:)

Thank you, in advance.
-Daneale

Attachments

• IMG_0412 (600 x 450).jpg.jpg
    IMG_0412 (600 x 450).jpg.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 134
Well, I'm not sure. I thought braining was killing the mouse or pinkie. I know many people put slits in the back to aid digestion and attract the snake.

I use steel feeding forceps and just stick the end through the skull and squeeze out the brain juice. Any picky eater I have ever had goes for it instantly.

Thanks Susang.
I have tried the slitting to no avail, and the pinky head etc. etc.

I thought braining was something about putting a hole in the head. Ish, but I'm desperate here.

Daneale

Just make holes in the pinky (the dead ones of course) or cut slits in it doesn't have to be the head anywhere will do. Do it before you defrost them if you can.

You can't do it before you have defrosted Stacey. Whats the point in braining a moose that can't be brained?

Defrost the pink, use a pair of scissors of feeding forceps and just poke it straight through the pinks head and squeeze out the brain juice. I have the best luck when I rub it all over the nose too...

Thanks so much you guys! I think I got it and will probably try it tonight when I get home from my daughter's musical performance!

Sounds worse than I thought though, as far as the gross factor.

Daneale

I have a knife set aside for braining. I've found that using something sharp and actually making a small cut in the skull is a little easier as their skull is so tiny as it is, poking a hole in it with tweezers sometimes just makes a mess of the whole head (for me anyway). And with the knife, I can also use it to cut slits and brain larger mice to help stimulate older snakes that are being just a tad stubborn.

Time has come...

Thank you all for all of your tips.
I got home late last night, so will be trying it now.
Do you all think using the pointed end of a razor blade would work?
I have to feed her the very tiniest pinks I have, so they are pretty small.

Hopefully this works (fingers crossed,) or I'm going to have to sacrifice an anole or try a live pinky (which seems pretty hard to find locally).

It's weird, because in the three (?) months I've had her, she's never refused a meal until about a month ago. I am stumped. I just hope she doesn't meet the fate of her brother I had. RIP, little guy.

She's so pretty too....

Here's a pic from about a week ago. No problem drinking, at least.
Sincerely,
Daneale:shrugs:

Attachments

• Pixie drinking (600 x 400).jpg
    Pixie drinking (600 x 400).jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 52
Thanks, dj.
It's thawing as I type.

She seems to be almost "hunting" around her viv lately, even during the day, so maybe that's a good sign.

Daneale

Back