• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

breeding concerns

Jay633

so apparently i have i Normal cornsnake with no hets, i really want to buy another snake and one day breed them, but my question is what kind of snake should i get? ( yes a corn, what morph of a corn should i get) sorry second question, if i get lets say an albino and i breed it with the normal should babies come out nomal colors and albino colors? thanks in advance

The kind of corn you get is entirely up to you.

If you breed a normal corn with an albino, what you'll get is normals, het for albino. In other words they carry the albino gene with them, but it's hidden. They got one normal gene from the normal parent and one albino gene from the other. It takes two of the albino genes for it to show up in the babies.

Luckily, if you want albinos they're not very expensive. The same formula works for most other pairings as well.

If you breed any Corn morph with a Normal that has no hets, you'll only ever get Corns that look like Normals (but they will carry hets for whatever the new partner is).

If you plan to breed Normals you might want to wait a couple of years for the market to pick up. Corns have been quite difficult to sell over the last 18 months.

Breeding almost any type of corn to a normal will give you all normal offspring - which there's virtually no demand for. Most Corn Snake traits are recessive - this means to create an albino, two snakes carrying the albino gene most be bred together. To create an anery, two corns carrying the anery gene must be bred together, etc.

Also keep in mind that there's a big difference between breeding corns and selling them. Overnight shipping generally costs about $50 and most people aren't going to be willing to spend $50 to have a $20 snake shipped to them.

Also keep in mind that Corn Snakes have clutches of about 16 eggs (sometimes more, sometimes less). Do you have individual housing for 16 baby snakes (including heat, hide boxes, water dishes, etc.)?

ala1.jpg

Back