• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Breeding of feeders question

Pygora

I had multiple females in a bin. Over crowded but I wanted to establish the babies for awhile before I moved them to new quarters. At least give them a flying chance. Since it was multiple batches all around the same time I don't know which babies are which. I think it was 3 different batches but I'm not sure. There were way too many to figure out who was who.

Question is this. I got another box and halved the batches with the adult females & babies. Will the mom's take care of other babies that are not theirs or not? I intend to pay full attention to them in the next few days. If need be I will switch them back.

I'm kind of new at this so help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've been reading up on the breeding of feeders but I'm learning as I go too.

The mothers all take care of each others babies. As far as moving them around I have learned in my experience raising mice anytime you mess with pulling or adding mice to a bin they take a while to get back into the swing of things. I have 4 females to 1 male in large cat litter bins in my racks and never have problems with overcrowding. Sometimes there will be 60 babies in there. I pull the hoppers out when there eyes are fully open and there ears are up then they can eat and drink on there own. Good Luck

I think they all had their eyes open. Some are just way way more mobile than others. I was surprised with this batch because some of little ones are climbing around on the houses already. Others are not. Those are the ones I'm worried about. I had 5 females and 1 male in the bin originally. But they had sooo many babies. Which I didn't dare to move. I probably should've moved them before giving birth but I'm so new to this I haven't learned how to tell when they're due yet. They seem way happier and aren't as defensive and mean so far. But I'm just worried about the babies. Some are slightly older than the others. Like a matter of days or a week. The older ones seem really good but the younger ones are the ones I think need to be taken care of a bit longer. They're so close it's really hard to tell which ones are which. Doesn't help that they're all about the same color either so you can't tell by color.

I think for the size of the bins I have probably 3 to a bin is plenty. 6 including the male was pushing it. I knew before they got much bigger I had to separate. I'm definitely learning from experience. Trial and error.

Back