• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Breeding question.

I've seen both situations occur.

Right off hand I would guess that the presence of pheromones from a nearby male may stimulate her to ovulate, but the actual stimulus to go through the motions and drop infertile eggs without being introduced to a male is not known to me.

Actually the entire mechanism is kind of a mystery to me. I once heard a talk by Dave Barker about pythons where he went into the biology of ovulation. His comment was that it is not possible for the oviducts to reabsorb follicles. Which does make a lot of sense to me. But many of us that have been breeding snakes for a while have certainly seen cases of obviously gravid females that never laid eggs and apparently reabsorbed those 'eggs'. But what really happens, I don't know. I have the complete set of books, THE BIOLOGY OF THE REPTILIA, but so far the osmosis process for that knowledge to seep into my brain just hasn't happened.

As an aside, I have had a female drop fertile eggs just 19 days after her one and only introduction to a male, so evidently there must be a fairly reasonable amount of time from initial ovulation to the 'deadline' when the eggs CAN be fertilized. Certainly there must be a limit to when a female can mate and have the eggs fertilized. But I couldn't tell you what that limit is.

Thx Rich. That helps some. Just want to do what is best for my friend/pet. I may breed her some day but dont wat to do anything to endanger her due to ignorance.

Back