• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Brightest colors?

Starwild

Hi all! I have a ball python and two leopard geckos, and plan on expanding into corns--while I love my ball girl, corns are so beautifully colored and seem like much better feeders. A great choice for expanding my herp family.

I'm doing the research and making plans, but I can't quite decide on the morph(s) I want.

Which morphs result in adult snakes with the brightest--

1. Red
2. Orange
3. Yellow

--coloration?

I think the award for red must go to the bloodred, but for the other two, there seem to be a lot of options.

I was thinking possibly the orange might be the okeetee creamsicle or a sunglow morph, and yellow might be motley butter?

I'm hoping to keep cost to about $100 a snake, max, so if there are some fabulous neon-yellow corns for $5K each, thanks but that's a liiiittle out of my price range. :wavey:

Also, SMR seems like THE place to go for getting corns--anyone own adult snakes that came from them? I'd love to see photos of what yours look like all grown up, as that's where I'm planning on getting mine when the time is right.

Thanks for your help! :)

Do you want solid colors only?

I think the award for the brightest oranges and reds should go to the extreme lines of okeetees (Abbott's and Love) such this. They are (to me and many others) the epitome of what a corn snake should look like. They also aren't a "fad" type morph, that is, they won't go out of style.

I've got an Abbott's from SMR and one from Lee Abbott himself and they are both gorgeous snakes, though 2008's so they are not full grown yet.

Here's a couple of pics:
P1000554.jpg

P1000610.jpg

You could also check out Serpenco. They have some great looking stuff. As far as orange goes, you don't get much orange-r than some creamsicles. I have 2 from a clutch last year that are bright bright orange! The reds, you might want to look into a striped bloodred (not exactly sure on the prices on those, as I haven't researched it).

I'm going to agree with Robbie, Serpenco owned and run by Rich Z, who incidentally owns this forum is another great place to buy corns.

If you go to the main index page of this forum and scroll down, there's a linked website for Serpenco, so it's easy to find ;)

Don't forget hypo bloodred for a blazing red-orange snake, or amel bloodred for the same.

For yellow I would go with a butter motley, if you can find one. Might be tough with your price limit, you might have to go a little bit over, but not as high as $200.

You have a wide variety of color and pattern morphs and combos to choose from. Red, yellow and orange are some of the most common colors in corns. If you stay with the normal/Okeetee, amel, caramel and hypo (all 4-5 of them) colors, mixed with the various pattern morphs (bloodred listed as a pattern), you'll be very happy with your choices. Avoid the anerys, charcoals and lavenders. And please be aware that creamsicles are not pure corns, but intergrades with Great Plains rat snakes.

Some examples of a variety of red, orange and yellow snakes:

Calliope_May_08_-_2.jpg

Andromeda_April_08_-_2.jpg

Taku_Feb_08.jpg

Peace_Feb_08_-_2.jpg

Little_Jenny_Feb_08_-_3.jpg

Odysseus_Feb_08.jpg

Partner_Feb_08.jpg

Docious_Jan_08_-_close_up.jpg

Alamo_Oct_07_-_2.jpg

Daytona_feb_08_-_close_up_-_3.jpg

My personal choices would be:

EXCELLENT sunglow motley or stripe for "Red" - amel plus a pattern morph, selectively bred for intense colouration. My more expensive choice would be a good Fire Stripe.

Orange would have to be a Hypo-based Stripe, Motley or Bloodred...

Yellow... well, my own personal choice would be a Topaz (Lava Caramel) but that's pricey. Butter Motley or Butter Stripe would be more solid yellow.

Orange would have to be a Hypo-based Stripe, Motley or Bloodred...

I have to agree, that hypo-based stripes seem to be the brightest...

My striped Hypo Amel girl.
p1010003.JPG
P1010002.JPG

My blood girl, may be het hypo
P1010016.JPG
P1010017.JPG

My normal striped guy ph hypo. He's quite a good looking snake too.
P1010027.JPG

Wow, those are some BLAZING snakes! I'm in love!

Thanks so much, I'll look into those!

I did know that about the crossbred okeetee creamsicle, but does it affect in any way how you care for them? I won't be breeding. :)

Serpenco have awesome Butter Motleys. Check out the "Stripe-Type" ones. I think they're some of the brightest yellow colours that I've seen. Be careful of that site though - it once cost me £1000!

Okeetee, reverse okeetee, amels, butters, fires. I have a lovely ultra hypo ph caramel, lovely bright colors. Lots of choices for you! :)

Attachments

• T'Pring.JPG
    T'Pring.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 84
  • amel stripe1.JPG
    amel stripe1.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Guess1.jpg
    Guess1.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 85
There are tons of examples already in this thread, and they are all great. It just depends on what type of color you like (ie more red, more yellow, more orange etc). Might I also suggest a Sunglow Motley or Sunglow stripe?

These are not mine because I no longer have any sunglows. Instead, I just borrowed pics. This is Pasodama's Sunglow Stripe boy Keegan

attachment.php

And Don's (SMR) Sunglow Motley female

mosg069aa.jpg

Bright!

Bright colors? Oh I LOVE bright colored cornsnakes! They are my passion and my specialty. Here’s my recommendations:

In orange, a sunglow motley or a sunglow stripe both have that rich orange red on the back set off by blending into yellow on the lower sides. Shop carefully, some people call sunglows any amel with no white. The best of these are very richly colored. Good sunglow stripes are on the pricey side but you should be able to score a nice sunglow motley within your budget. That being said, the creamsicles, as has been mentioned before, have a different look, and can be very bright.

In red, an excellent fire can’t be beat. The ones I like best are nearly patternless, have no white, and tend towards more of a cherry red at maturity. But those kind are hard to find, especially this season. But if you don’t mind some white and a two-toned look you may be able to find something.

In yellow, you should be able to get a good butter motley in your price range. But be warned, there are very bright ones and there are others that are more brownish. Since they all start out brown as hatchlings and the yellow doesn't really come in until later, looking at the parents may help choose a better one. Even among the very bright lines, some are more brown and some have more white. I held back an ‘07 male of each sort to see which would ultimately be brightest, and I still can’t choose my favorite, though they are both nearly breeding size now.

If you don’t want a solid color, take a look at a high white reverse okeetee or fluorescent orange reverse okeetee. Just keep in mind that they tend to get more reddish as they age and lose the shiny orange. Still a handsome snake, just not as brilliant.

You didn’t mention pink but my list of favorite bright corns wouldn’t be complete without those. There are some that are insanely bright. A really good Champagne is a solid hot pink and the best Neon x Corals are bright pink and deep coral.

Here's my Sunglow Motley boy Phoenix as a hatchling:
Jan07b-028-ed1-sunmot.jpg

My sunglow stripes seem to be in both red and golden orange. There's already a nice red photo in this thread so I'll show you a more golden type. This girl has golden flecks that glow in the late afternoon sun. She's the golden girl in my avatar and banner. Now that's what I call bright!
Dec06L-144ed3-Citrus-w.jpg

One of my favorite fires, Blaze:
BlazeAug08_1599.jpg

Here's my Butter Motley, Buttercup. Like all the snakes in the previous photos, I got her from SMR.
Apr08_0748b Buttercup.jpg

Just for comparison, here's Buttercup as a hatchling. It doesn't help in picking them out that butters are very difficult to photograph, in addition to hatchlings looking nothing like the adults they will become!

020506-sn070-fix-web.jpg

Bright! continued

Here's an example of a reverse okeetee with really bright orange, my boy Harlequin from SMR
Harlequin Nov08_1082b.jpg

Hatchling Champagne Pink Striped Snow, his name is Minstrel:
Oct07_0378 champagne.jpg

Here is Sonnet, who I bred by crossing an SMR Coral with a Stephen Wagner Neon pink
Jun08_1322 Neon Coral Cornsnake Sonnet.jpg

Now, the hard part: narrowing it down to just one. Clearly, I was unsuccessful at doing that!

Woooow. I'm about to start drooling on my keyboard...or possibly go blind! Where'd my shades go! :dancer: Those are some gorgeous snakes!

Thank you guys so much, I might not be buying for a few months (need to get past the holiday expenses, first, most likely) but this really, really helps.

I don't mind the two-tone patterns at all, in fact I really love the butter motleys for that reason. :) Thanks again! I'll be referring back to this thread a lot as I try to decide on what snake(s) to get.

I may just save up and get my top three faves at the same time, but we'll see.

Do you want solid colors only?

I think the award for the brightest oranges and reds should go to the extreme lines of okeetees (Abbott's and Love) such this. They are (to me and many others) the epitome of what a corn snake should look like. They also aren't a "fad" type morph, that is, they won't go out of style.

I've got an Abbott's from SMR and one from Lee Abbott himself and they are both gorgeous snakes, though 2008's so they are not full grown yet.

Here's a couple of pics:
P1000554.jpg

P1000610.jpg

I agree the Abbotts are awesome for colouring. If I had the room, that would be the next one that I would add as a pet.

Sunglows are also pretty bright in the orange department. I'm partial to the Motleys myself. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of an adult.

I agree the Abbotts are awesome for colouring. If I had the room, that would be the next one that I would add as a pet.

Sunglows are also pretty bright in the orange department. I'm partial to the Motleys myself. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of an adult.

Obviously, I didn't read the whole thread before responding... Poppy has some of the best snakes... I can't wait to add one of her creations to my collection :)

Back